Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you do this? >

Would you do this?

Would you do this?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:35 AM

I would repair also. isn'tthere a way of using light interfaceing or something like that to stabilize th weaker areas and finish it and just display it.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 AM

I agree with BellaBoo that you can cut it up to make many things - LOVE the Christmas stocking idea - but I also agree with Fiber Artist that it probably couldn't take the wear and tear of a garment.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 AM

I wouldn't cut it but repair it then make it into a quilt with batting and backing and quilt it. It will last a long time and be a treasure.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:03 AM

I would try to make repairs. There are some wonderful retro fabrics out there.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:19 AM

At that age the fibers (even where there are not seams) break down very easily. I wouldn't make a sweat shirt. Taking it on and off alone will most likely break down the fabric, even if quilted heavily.

I have seen pieces that are too worn to use, where put them in a frame. Others mount them around a canvas frame and cover with "Modge Podge." Personally I prefer a frame. You can personalize the mat area or the inside area with a message etc. They make great gift for other relatives too. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
personally if i could I would make it into a smaller quilt and keep the torn areas for extra parts.
Me too! :-D
Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H
Looks like no one wants me to cut into it. I will have to learn how to repair it and also how to hand quilt.
I got the idea for a jacket at the International Quilt Show in Houston last November. I saw some very pretty jackets made out of old quilts and immediately thought of this quilt. My mil is always cold so I thought a jacket made out of the quilt her gm made her would be perfect.
what about taking the parts that are still intact and making her a shawl since she's always cold? something simple that she could wrap around her shoulders. That way its still part of her original quilt, but won't take so long to repair.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Hmmm... who would get more pleasure out of it, your MIL or you? Maybe that should guide your decision.

Wherever it brings the most joy, maybe that's where it should be...
My thoughts also. It is yours and you can do what makes you happy with it. While it would be nice to keep all the treasures in our lives just as they are it would not be feasible in the long run and I feel like you need to enjoy things not pack them away because they are full of memories. What would you get out of the frustration on fixing it again if it does not satisfy you?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H
I have a 70 year old quilt top that belonged to my mil. Her grandmother made it for her when she was a child. It had been quilted a couple of times but now is just a very raggedy quilt top. She was going to throw it away but I kept it.
I am thinking of making a sweatshirt for my mil with it. I think there is enough of it intact to do this. Would you cut this up or is that some kind of sin? I am sure that she would love it.
Then there would be the challenge of figuring out how to do it.
Agree 100%
Old 05-12-2011, 05:59 AM

I would turn it into my long term project. I would get a good thread and start re-sewing ever seam by hand.

For the most part the fabric appears in pretty good shape.

When done I would label it with the info you provided.

It is truly a family heirloom.