Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-12-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
chergram, those bobbins are readily available. Try a sewing store or April1930sshoppe.com Billy may have some, too. April has lots of FW accessories.

My youngest daughter just called. There is "a black Singer with no flowers in a cute cabinet" for $75 at the Salvation Army. Shall we call her an enabler? I have to go to my repair guy about a tire today. Do you think I can keep my car from going a few blocks out of the way? Dairy Queen is very close to SA. H-m-m-m.
Dairy Queen and sewing machine? Plan on your car stopping at both places!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 AM

that would be first on my list the machine dairy Quenn sounds good too thanks for the information
Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
I have a 1918 singer 66 redeye that has had a motor put on it. Eventually I want to treadle it but I don't have the room right now so we are talking down the road a few years. i have an opportunity to buy a 1954 singer 66-16 in a cabinet for $100 (maybe cheaper, haven't tried yet).I'm waiting for pictures. I really didnt want another cabinet but I can use the carrying case my 1974 Domestic is in if I need to.

Is there much of a difference in the two 66's with that big of a time span?

I have that older 66 and I have a Spartan from late 50's and Im having a bugger of a time getting the tension right. It's about to make me want to give up and just stick with the 301 that I LOVE so dearly! I'm trying to get another machine running good that I can put in my camper and leave it for the summer.
Hi Julie - I am not sure what type of sewing machine you're looking for but I like my Singer 66... but I also like my 15, 201, 206K .... As far as portability you might even want to take a look at a Singer 185 for the camper.

Here is a weblink for Singer 66's.
http://www.google.com/search?q=singe...w=1410&bih=737
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by chergram
can any one here tell me how to get smell out of my old feather weight machine case I bought got the machine fixed it sews great but would like to get smell out without ruining the case also need to know where to buy extra bobbins and what size to get thanks
Put in a bounce fabric softener sheet in the case.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Kitzone
Update: 1920 Green 127 Singer Sphinx ~ well curiosity got the best of me and I went to look at it :) The color of the decals are slightly different than my 1908 model. Same decal but the tint leans slightly towards sage green. The sewing machine was in excellent condition and appeared to be well care for over the years. The owner said that it belonged to her grandmother, who received it as a wedding present from her husband :)

I wonder if this difference in color tint is similar to the Brown Lotus which makes it more rare? Any thoughts?
Judy
Judy, did you take some pictures? I'd love to see this machine. Did it look original to you, or a very good paint job?

Nancy
I didn't take pictures as it may have seemed a little pushy but boy did I want to :) I am pretty sure it was original as there was definite tell-tail signs of aging. I will see if I can take some pictures :)

Judy
Old 05-12-2011, 09:44 AM

I spotted this cartoon today & thought of this thread.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-196175.jpe
Views:	270
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	196181  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I spotted this cartoon today & thought of this thread.

NOW, look at us. How times have changed.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

This is my favorite tutorial on using the shuttle bobbins ( I believe that is what you are using for your machine) even if you don't have a Singer. I used it to figure out how to wind my shuttle on my Davis. I like her suggestions at the end of the video. There are a number of tutorials out there that are of help for the shuttles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOu4-...eature=related

Happy to read that you got the hang of treadling.
Have fun treadling!
I used that same tutorial to learn to wind a bobbin on my New Home. Have fun treadling its so relaxing once you learn.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:38 AM

No machine. It was the twin to my 128, but with a shiny finish instead of my blackside. Do 128s come with round bobbins? Mine has a shuttle, but the SA one didn't. Nice and clean and it seemed to move freely. I did buy a blonde cabinet for $1. Hope I can make it fit the 301. Did get a Pecan Cluster blizzard and took lunch to a young friend who had a 15 pound tumor removed from her breast. Apparently not malignant. Ouchy!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM

A moment of silence please....I was on a fabric shopping mission today and I stopped in at a junk shop just to look around (yeah-I know that all of you knows what that really means). The shop was closed for lunch but look at what I found sitting outside....my heart just about stopped and I am telling myself that I did the right thing by leaving them where I found them....but, still.....what a senseless waste of four machines.....cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-196234.jpe
Views:	291
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	196240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-196235.jpe
Views:	330
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	196241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-196236.jpe
Views:	331
Size:	48.6 KB