Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-12-2011, 03:10 PM

[quote=Glenn]
Originally Posted by Darcene

I would have gone back to get them, I could not stand to leave them. Glenn
I will be going back for them....they deserve better...even if they end up as "garage decorations" it will still be better than sitting out in the open for who knows how many more years....

I will also check out the inside of the shop and let you know what I find....this particular shop owner made a remark to another buyer at an auction recently...he was seated behind me while I was bidding on machines...the comment was something along the line of " I have way too many old machines and I can't give them away"....I am quite sure that he meant for me to hear him..he and I have a tense relationship based over close to 30 yrs now...I have no idea what he will try in the way of pricing, but we will see..... :?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:42 PM

my dd called me today, she found 2 machines. both from the 50's. a 206k, and a 15. both in nice cabinets, $100 and $250. but told her to makw an offer. i cannot buy. if anyone interested, the shop is on M19, just south of sandusky.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 PM

Darcene --as you can tell we thinkyou should go get those machines if even for parts -if sitting outside he shouldn't
want much. Even with all salvagable parts off you could use them for bookends without cutting them in half. HA HA !

Need to ask others if they have ever seen feet for a machine that has a round hole to fit over the shank rather than the usual 2 fork clamp -short shank. Bought some with
some "Greist parts" for my old machine and to get another bag of old parts the first week of June.(also other names)

Will not fit my Singer 128 but will photo and send info after I get my machine/cabinet working.

Thought I would mention that now in case different people would be reading in few weeks. Some names on them I have never heard about
Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 PM

Advice Please: I currently have a Singer 66. I'm thinking of looking at a Singer 15-91. The ad says it is in "beautiful condition" and they are asking $125. I have a very small home and sewing area so if I got the 15, I'd probably try to sell the 66. What are the differences in these machines, is there anything I need to be aware of before I call/look at the 15?

Thanks for you feed back.
Marie
Old 05-12-2011, 05:57 PM

[quote=PJisChaos][quote=vintagemotif][quote=SnowQuilt][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by PJisChaos

The tip she shows of winding it without going thru the arm thingy was amazing and just what I needed to get more than the right side loaded. LoL!

Actually started a cute little treadle wall hanging last night to break her in with, almost done with it and the sewing part is a breeze. Just dumb as all get out when it comes to the bobbin winding, reckon I am too spoiled with my other machines and how easy the bobbin winding is on them.
Her tip of winding it without going through the arm is how I do mine since I would always have the thread fill up one side of the bobbin more than the other. Happy to read the video was helpful!

I would love to see your treadle wall hanging that you started. Please post here. A number of us love to see more than the machines, quilting projects too!

Have fun treadling! :)
Old 05-12-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Advice Please: I currently have a Singer 66. I'm thinking of looking at a Singer 15-91. The ad says it is in "beautiful condition" and they are asking $125. I have a very small home and sewing area so if I got the 15, I'd probably try to sell the 66. What are the differences in these machines, is there anything I need to be aware of before I call/look at the 15?

Thanks for you feed back.
Marie
If I had to make a choice between the 66 and 15 I would keep the 66. I think the 66"s are wonderful machines. I have three of them. They are also easy to service yourself. glenn
Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 PM

The little blonde cabinet I bought today for $1 is by Sears and Roebuck in that limed finish popular in the late 50s. Very modern looking. The opening is 16 3/4 by 7 3/8. The hinges are 9 1/2" on center so the 128 would fit, but it's not a good cabinet for her. Too top heavy on the spindly legs. I'm thinking I need to build a platform inside for the 301. The tan 301 with it's straighter lines would be a better fit cosmetically, too. Fun and games.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
The little blonde cabinet I bought today for $1 is by Sears and Roebuck in that limed finish popular in the late 50s. Very modern looking. The opening is 16 3/4 by 7 3/8. The hinges are 9 1/2" on center so the 128 would fit, but it's not a good cabinet for her. Too top heavy on the spindly legs. I'm thinking I need to build a platform inside for the 301. The tan 301 with it's straighter lines would be a better fit cosmetically, too. Fun and games.
I agree with you the 128 is a heavy bugger and the 301 would look better in the blonde cabinet. The fitting issue of the 301 would not be much of a problem. Glenn
Old 05-12-2011, 06:42 PM

Irishrose if I good get in touch with your son I would thank him for helping with clean up in this area. It will take months to clean up here. Glenn
Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Well, folks, the bug got me too!
My BFF and I went shopping yesterday and I found a Singer treadle machine that seems to be in fairly good shape. Needs a belt and some cleaning, but moves easily top and bottom.
According to the Singer website it is a model 15k manufactured in Scotland in December 1947.
My phone doesn't seem to be saving my pictures. It's still in the bed of my truck awaiting being moved to my sewing room so the pictures were kind of wonky anyway.
Any further info on this machine would be most welcome!
Congrats! For the find and catching the vintage sewing machine bug. Have fun!