Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a nice sewing table? >

Do you have a nice sewing table?

Do you have a nice sewing table?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:43 PM

I use my Mom's old Bernina Cabinet. My juke fits down inside it okay, not exactly level, but close enough. My Baby Lock sits inside a Koala quilting table. I also have a 6' folding table set up behind the Juki so I have lots of room to hold quilts when I am FMQing
Old 05-13-2011, 03:01 PM

I bought a sewing cabinet off of craigslist for $100.00. I love having the machine level with the cabinet. It has several drawers to keep lots of notions in. It is in very good shape but it was probably made in the 70's, before ergonomics were thought of. The center of the cabinet where the machine sits is centered with the center of the machine, NOT the needle area. When I sit in front of the needle, my chair hits the left end of the cabinet, so I can't skoot in as close as I would like to. It is still better than not having it.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 PM

I've been searching for a nice wooden table at an affordable price. When I find one, my husband will do the cutout and make a brace to hold it. Eleanor Burns has a video on her site that shows how to do it.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:57 PM

2 folding tables (5-6' in length) with coordinating table cloths on them- one I use for cutting and whatnot and this table sits on bedrisers so I won't kill my back. the other table I sew on. when I want to tidy the room (project is done) I put my machine in a tote(which I got from Amazon) and stick it under the table- hidden by the table cloth (which reallly is fabric cut from a bolt of decorator fabric from JoAnne's)
Old 05-13-2011, 06:23 PM

I have a 1970s sewing cabinet that I bought for $20 I think at a garage sale and my husband closed up the hole for the previous machine and mine sets on top. It is a good height for me. But I must admit....I check Craigslist often for a Horn or Koala. I don't have enough room for a big one of those (like a want) so I have to wait for a small one to come up.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:50 PM

I have the same Arrow table Model Bertha just like GGin Mckinney. I used a table like you for years and years. The only thing I don't like about the Arrow table is that the machine jiggles a little on the Air lift. I think it is just part of the beast.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:04 PM

I feel like the luckiest person in the world, I just ordered an arrow sewing table with a custom inset for my Bernina machine to go in my new almost finished sewing room. The table is white to go with the white trim in my yellow room. I've been sewing on a small table with a leaf the comes up to where my machine rests, It's so small I can't believe I am able to quilt on it. I am soooooo excited for the new one, I can hardly wait. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would do so.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:55 PM

With all the machines we work with we constantly have a supply of tables we donate- (it's just my husband and I and we don't keep a store front so space is a premium as it all has multiple uses. The one thing we tell people looking at a table is be sure your machine can handle it. If it is a plastic body it may not handle the conventional swing down in kind . Check what is avaiable that suits your machines bracketing capability. we saw one for a pfaff a few days ago that would work for modern machines but the owner wanted to keep it.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 PM

I, too, have an extension for my machine -- a plexiglass one for my Pfaff. I have seen several threads on the QB of tables that DH, etc. have made a cutout in them so the machine sits flush with the surface. I've often thought about doing this, too. I'm so tired of wrestling with my quilts. They often get caught up on the corners of the extension table even though the corners are rounded. I long for a table where my machine would sit flush with the tabletop!! 8-)
Old 05-14-2011, 03:55 AM

buy a used office desk and have hubs cut out the top the same size as the machine. Lower it down and re-mount. Voila!