Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-13-2011, 06:14 PM

I'm thinking about it. There are so many decals that are ruined, and with the rust, I don't have much choice but to try.[/quote]

When you get your decal to your liking you can make new ones for the rest of us. Good Luck Kathie
Old 05-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Originally Posted by kwendt
http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-401A-401-...item1e62c3e570

Do you think this is worth $125. I offered $100 and he counter offered. I don't really mind that price but then the shipping is $37.

I really wanted the 500 but from what I'm reading the only difference is the looks...this is still cheaper than the 500's and I can learn to live without the space age look..lol
The 401s' are great too. Internal cam stack, AND takes top hats (which are easily found). All metal, for the most part. People love them. They fit in lots of cabinets and even a card table (see the ISMACS site for Singer cabinets). I have a 403 (the less glitzy version)... and it sews very nicely. I paid $125 for machine (403a), the case, the attachments/book, AND the card table. (which was a great deal).
What do you mean by less glitzy :). there is a 403a that may be cheaper with no case.

Will these 400 and 500 run sitting on a table or do they have to be in something?

And thanks for your help!
403s have a bit more control of the stitch width - what you see is what you get - but you have to have the top hats to do any decorative stitches. The 401 & 500 really only need 5 top hats since the rest are built into the cam stack. I've had my 401 on CL and no replies - sigh. The 400s are cosmetically a bit different. The doors hold up a bit better than the 500s. DIL loves, loves, loves the looks of her 500. She's into 'modern' and it motivates her to sew. They can go in a cabinet or you can put them on a table top or in a case. You can get replacement feet for the bottom of the machine if the feet are gone or worn - won't scratch up the table then.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

The 401s' are great too. Internal cam stack, AND takes top hats (which are easily found). They fit in lots of cabinets and even a card table (see the ISMACS site for Singer cabinets). I have a 403 (the less glitzy version)... and it sews very nicely. I paid $125 for machine (403a), the case, the attachments/book, AND the card table. (which was a great deal).
What do you mean by less glitzy :). there is a 403a that may be cheaper with no case. Will these 400 and 500 run sitting on a table or do they have to be in something? And thanks for your help!
You're welcome, Julie. I'm no expert... just an enthusiast.

The 403 that I have, the case locks onto the machine itself, there is no wood or plastic tray that the machine sits in. So YES it can be used ontop of a table, by itself. (make sure the rubber feet on the bottom are replaced or still good though...).

Of the USA 400 models, Singer made the 401's with all the extras - the internal cam stack, as well as all the other 400 series features. So it's like the er... 'highest' model for the 400's. Singer did the same thing with the 500 series as well. The 501 Rocketeer is the 500 series best (flagship model). The 503 is still great, but has slightly less features.

So the 403s and the 503's are the next step down in the series, still great, but with less features. Then there are other models in the series with even less features/plainer like the 404, 406. (Don't confuse the model numbers of German machines or industrials... those are different models.)

Perhaps do a google search to see pics of say... the 403... verses the 401. You will see that the 401 has a large dialy knob thing in the center front. It's got little needle like pointers on each side of it. That's the stitch selector for the internal cam system. Plus, on the top... there is a flip up section for the top hat cams to fit. More stitches to choose from!

Now my 403 machine (the step down model) has everything that 401 has EXCEPT the middle stitch selector knob... and that's cause it doesn't have the internal cam stack. But I still have the flip top section for top hat cams.

For the money, I'd get the 401a.... unless you don't particularly care about extra stitches. Best to go see both, make your decision then? It might be a personal preference kinda thing. You may not like having all the bells and whistles so to speak.[/quote]"

Ok I'll add my 2 cents worth, I would trade you a 401 for your 403. Yeah, they are a step down so to speak. If the 403 has all 22 cams, it will do the same work anyway.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Could someone please date these machines.....also how many were made, and where? A friend has just recieved them from his family and would like to know.

thanks, Marge
Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
My Singer 66-16 has the drop in bobbin. The machine guy says in order to do FMQ, the feed dogs have to be removed. Apparently, they just unscrew and pop out. I certainly haven't tried it yet. I know a 15-91 would probably be better to FMQ with. Is FMQ impossible with the horizontal drop in bobbin vs. the vertical one?
Oh... I'm sorry, Marie. Another thing. There's a feed dog cover plate that you can put on top of the feed dogs on a 16. You can find covers with the button hole attachments or the darners. I would think you might could use those too?

Glenn? Everyone? Is that true and can be done? I'm not sure if the fabrics would 'snag' on the cover's edges?

I just went and checked my 66 buttonholer and attachments. The button holer's feed cover is long and rectangular - screws into the bed. So I bet the SCREW used to attach the cover to the bed of the machine gets in the way. Right? Bummer.
If you release all the tension on the presure foot so the fabric moves freely you can free motion quilt. And yes there is an embroidery cover that can be put on over the feed dogs and you can free motion quilt all daylong. It covers the feed dogs. This cover is available for the 66's and is universal (don't need to worry about the side or back clamp. I free motion quilt all the time on my 66. Glenn
Here is the pic of the attachment I often use for free motion quilting
After reading your conversation on FM quilting with the 66, I realized that I had never tried to FM with my Lotus 66-1, and I even have that embroidery cover. Now, you got me wanting to play with my Lotus 66 again. :) Another project for the summer; maybe I will make some mug rugs or bday cards while trying to FM with the 66-1.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Sorry forgot to list the # A73776 GL851108 or could be

GI851108

thanks Marge
Old 05-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Now I am an enabler there is a Jones handcrank for $9.99 on ebay. Strange thing, all the pics are of the back of the machine. The decals are gorgeous. It's in California.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by colleen53
i am looking on a new singer , sphnix i believe for a serial number.. cann anyone help with this?
If this is a replica Singer Sphnix, the serial number may be on the bottom of the machine. If it is the vintage Singer, the serial number is found top right hand corner, bobbin winder side.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

If this is a replica Singer Sphnix, the serial number may be on the bottom of the machine. If it is the vintage Singer, the serial number is found top right hand corner, bobbin winder side.
Really?? Now that is good info to know, I would have never known that. Hubby has been eyeballing a sphinx as he remembers his grandma having one and wants to get it. I will be sure to tell him this. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 PM

I have never taken out my feed dogs to free motion quilt. I just release all the pressure off the foot. Billy also quilts this way you should ask him also. I also have the cover (Embroidery cover) and I use it many times. Glenn
This is cool... I knew Glenn would have the answer. Thanks, Glenn!