Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a little problem........ >

I have a little problem........

I have a little problem........

Old 05-13-2011, 03:02 PM

I have that problem with some of my fabric. Some of my fabric I can't make myself cut because I think it's too pretty and I don't want to start a project and then regret it later.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I fussy cut 16 squares out a $13 a yard batik last night. The remainder looks like a big varmit got it. It didn't bother me, but the fact that I misread the pattern and cut them an inch too big and had to cut them down did. Use? :thumbup: Waste? :thumbdown:
Thank goodness you didn't cut them too small. I just did that while squaring up blocks for DD quilt. I now have a smaller quilt without matching points in all of the pinwheels that were involved. I misunderstood the instructions. I don't know what I was thinking really!! Oh, well, I'm going to finish it anyway and the fabric is still beautiful.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
I have to admit that I have a cabinet, yes a cabinet full of batiks that I don't want to cut! I want to do the "right" project, etc. But am working on this! I also want to be the one to enjoy the fruits of my labor-not someone else who probably won't care!
This is too much :!: I'm the same way with my batiks. I swear, just last night I took out the batiks and just gazed at them. Yep, had them lined up on the ironing board (don't have that many) and I just looked at them. Then I laid them out on a bed and gazed some more, and wondered exactly when I was going to find that perfect pattern for them. This quilting forum is so refreshing....we can tell all our secrets and there's always someone who understands. :wink:
Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 PM

I'm not allowing myself a quilting stash because I know I will be the same.

I used to to do beading and bought every single colour of Swarovski I could find and then refused to use them as that colour would be gone from my set. I loved just admiring the pretty colours and still have them, but it eventually spoilt the hobby for me and I'm determined not to do that with quilting. I come on here to admire pics of everyone else's stash instead, I could look at pics of peoples stashes all day long and not get bored!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
I get into the throught process of not wanting to "waste" the fabric. If I cut into it, I won't be able to fully use it, It won't look as good as it would in another project. Or I won't have enought left over to do a good project, so it is better not to waste it at all and leave it be. Eventually I will find a project that is just right for it.
I do the exact same thing. Especially when I have a 2 yard piece. I will say, Do I want to cut into this or save it for a backing or a big project. I guess we are all alike. Its nice to be a majority. LOL
Old 05-13-2011, 05:57 PM

I feel the same way, when it is sitting on the shelf all pretty it looks good, but I am afraid that once I start cutting it I won't like the finished project as much as I like the fabric.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 PM

I understand completly!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
I used to have that problem but then my best friend died. Yep, she won the prize for "the most fabric when she dies". I wised up real quick. It's my fabric and if I want to fussy cut a piece out of middle of yardage, I do it. My fabric stash is not going to be someone else's goldmine. I want the joy and pleasure of using it NOW!
My feeling exactly. I am making myself cut into fabric that gives me a thrill just to look at and it is hard, but I don't want my family to have to figure out what to do with it. They'll have hard enough time figuring out what to do with all the quilts, table toppers, etc.! The more I cut, the easier it is getting to cut. After all, if--not likely--I use up all this fabric, the stores are full of more. froggyintexas
Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
Originally Posted by I4MOM
I totally understand this as i posted on mothers day when is enough too much i always find a reason to want more when i know there is more than enough here here is the link to my post on Sunday it has pics of the stash should i get more or should i cut some up?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tpr?p=3208319&t=121578
:thumbup: :thumbup: Love your avatar. What is the pattern. I read your other post and love your stash. I would love to come live in your stash but.....my husband said I have to stay here until my stash is used up. Guess I'll be here quite a while. I use to laugh at my sister when I saw all her fabric now I understand. Mine is in tubs and I also just like to look at it. I am trying to harden my self and cut into some of it but it is hard. I guess I have some kind of problem thinking that I will not find anything as pretty, but of course I do. Sorry about the loss of any friend. It is true that we should use the time we have enjoying what we have and making use of it, guess this is my cutting day. Love BrendaK
the avitar is a dresdon fan pattern and i just used quarter circles in the corners i was just trying to use an old pattern and make it new at the same time
Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by angelarose
Originally Posted by Mariposa
I have to admit that I have a cabinet, yes a cabinet full of batiks that I don't want to cut! I want to do the "right" project, etc. But am working on this! I also want to be the one to enjoy the fruits of my labor-not someone else who probably won't care!
This is too much :!: I'm the same way with my batiks. I swear, just last night I took out the batiks and just gazed at them. Yep, had them lined up on the ironing board (don't have that many) and I just looked at them. Then I laid them out on a bed and gazed some more, and wondered exactly when I was going to find that perfect pattern for them. This quilting forum is so refreshing....we can tell all our secrets and there's always someone who understands. :wink:
Did you see that beautiful irish chain quilt made of many colored batik squares on a white background? That would not use very big pieces of any of them.... but a bit of all of them! Jeannie