Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep. >

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:19 AM

My shelves are 24 inches deep in my sewing closet. I made them this deep on purpose. My fabrics are folded as they come off the bolt and approximately the same width of 9 inches. Then they are stacked by color family. I posted pictures earlier this year of my closet. The post was called My patchwork parlor. \http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89553-1.htm
This was the only way I could come up with to accommodate all of my stash and still make some sort of sense out of it all. I hope this helps you.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:20 AM

measure depth. Get free cardboard boxes cut up as many as you can the height and depth of shelf. Wrap fabric around piece of cardboard and stack standing up. (Craigs list always has free boxes on the free site
Old 05-14-2011, 05:27 AM

Wow I just watched your tutorial video and I am going to use this method. Perfect. If don't put fabric in bins could slip a piece of cardboard inbetween colors and sort by size .
Old 05-14-2011, 05:34 AM

Plastic tubs work for me. Only I've gone to a small size cause the big ones were to heavy. now I can sort by colors, label them.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:36 AM

I had the same problems and my stash looked like yours. So I went to the local sign shop and bought the plastic sign material. I cut it so that I could put my fabric on it when I folded it in 1/4. (approximately 12 x 8) Anything a yard or more goes on the sign material. Everything less is folded and put in the plastic storage containers where the drawers pull out. I organized by color or collections. Now I can see everything and can pull out the fabric I need. The sign material is nice because when I go to cut my material it is already folded for cutting.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:37 AM

I use a foamboard that measures 20X30". Cut it into 10 pieces measuring 10X6". Wrap fabric around. The large sheets cost me $1.00 ea at Family Dollar stores. So 10 cents each is a bargain. They are acid free so won't harm your fabric. The label say ADAMS R.L.Adams Plastics, Inc. www.readiboard.com
I secure the ends to the fabric with plastic paper clip like tabs that I got in a tub at WalMart.
You could get more than one layer of them on your shelves. I would stand the ones in the back on end and the ones in front of them on edge. That way you could see all of them at the same time and still have some room in front. Actually you could stack all of them on edge and still have room in front. This way you can remove them one at a time rather than having to look through boxes for what you are looking for. Ann in TN

rediboard and clip
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196775[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-196769.jpe
Views:	26
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	196775  
Old 05-14-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I'll measure them. It's a double closet.

Okay, about 24 inches deep. Lots of room for sure, but not able to find things or get organized.
OK, if the shelves are 24, then 1/2 wof is 22 and they will fit well if you just fold the wof in half and wind it around a 6 1/2" ruler - mine is 24" long, so it works perfectly.
I vote for this suggestion. I am not fan of plastic bins because I don't get to see everything that is inside so it doesn't help me when choosing fabrics. I do have a couple of plastic bins and everytime I look for something in them I let them open.

Why don't you try folding the fabrics with the ruler and see if works for you? You can always buy the plastics bins later.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:49 AM

How about trying stages so it isn't so overwhelming? First, a narrow, tall bookcase between the windows. Assign a different color to each row. Use the depth of the shelf to determine how you fold the fabric. That might be a good start and definitely a nice focal point.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

UPDATE:
Today I am starting again. I see some progress, not a lot but better than it was.
Pegleg, I love your parlor!! :)
All of you have given me great advise and thanks for the chuckles as well. I need them!
I love hearing someone say "Oh, mine looks like yours, now I don't feel so bad" hahahaha b/c then I DONT'T feel so bad!!! :D:D
One good thing is I'm finding a lot of fabrics I don't want and some treasures I forgot about!
Onward and upward!!!!!!!!!! Here I go!
Thanks so much everyone!!!

Sue
Old 05-14-2011, 05:58 AM

Good luck. It looks like a pretty room! I'll be watching for the advice you get!