Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt tablecloth >

quilt tablecloth

quilt tablecloth

Old 05-14-2011, 03:21 AM

Hi, I made some table once ! The part that was on the table was a solid color the over hang was patch work. They came out great and everyone loved them.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:11 AM

There is a restaurant in Vermont that only uses quilts as their tablecloths (the restaurant is in a large log cabin). They use that very thing clear plastic stuff you can buy at JoAnn Fabrics.

I'm "pretty" sure that these quilts are even antique quilts.

Suzanne
Old 05-14-2011, 04:17 AM

I made one for Thanksgiving and did a close meandering quilting and it lies nicely. Of course my husband spilled cranberry relish on it but most of it came out, really have to look to find it. Want to make a summer one now.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:55 AM

I notice when I use my "quilts" as table cloths, there is a little extra neatness about the meal. The meal has less spills, bread crumbs, drips... Ends up saving me clean up time. Yay!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:21 AM

You can get a piece of clear plastic and lay over it...they make plastic for tablecloth covers. I would cover it especially if it is an antique quilt....or one VERY special. Otherwise.....I would put it on and off the table...and use placemats instead.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:29 AM

If you think about it we have tons of patterns for table runners. Table cloths are just larger versions of them!! I'm making a hexagon one for my round table because I don't like many of the commercial ones!!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:49 AM

Good, I have had one on the kitchen table for a long time. But, to protect it I bought some clear vinyl to put over it. Works great and the quilt stays clean. enjoy!!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:49 AM

Lets see now---I have a quilted table runner with batting that my DH spilled coffee on. I have a flannel back , no batting table cloth that my DD spilled red wine on. The coffee stain I can still see, the wine stain is barely visible. They have both been washed a few times. I think the batting holds the stain even though the fabric releases it. I'm getting ready to quilt a Grandma's Flower Garden, using flannel for the batting.
(On the lighter side, after the pandemoniam settles down and the covering is in the washer, and the apologies and guilt complex are the major topic--think! This is your moment, like "Would you like to help me paint the bathroom this weekend???????/")
Old 05-14-2011, 06:58 AM

I like the idea. I've seen some patterns I think would look great as a table cloth.

*heavy sigh*...another "wannabe".
Old 05-14-2011, 07:02 AM

If you want things to set evenly on the tablecloth - use an old bed blanket (sheet blankets work great) versus the batting - it will lay smoother! Also, if something gets onto the tablecloth, it can be treated with Oxyclean, or Spray and Wash like any other fabric, just make sure to do it before you wash, treat the spot first... then let it soak and then wash.. I've had no problems doing this. And if it is grease, good old Dishwashing liquid Dawn helps dissolve grease - then treat with oxyclean and wash in oxyclean water... it works.