Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

If this is a replica Singer Sphnix, the serial number may be on the bottom of the machine. If it is the vintage Singer, the serial number is found top right hand corner, bobbin winder side.
Really?? Now that is good info to know, I would have never known that. Hubby has been eyeballing a sphinx as he remembers his grandma having one and wants to get it. I will be sure to tell him this. Thanks!
Can't remember where I read this, but during late 1980s to late 1990s there were some reproduction Singer Sphinx machines. I don't know if they are still being made. Most antique Singers have their serial numbers right top front bed.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:10 PM

After reading your conversation on FM quilting with the 66, I realized that I had never tried to FM with my Lotus 66-1, and I even have that embroidery cover. Now, you got me wanting to play with my Lotus 66 again. :) Another project for the summer; maybe I will make some mug rugs or bday cards while trying to FM with the 66-1.
lol... Yes. Glenn has sparked my interest in quilting with the 66. I have that cover plate too, I believe it's the same as the darner one. Or at least my darner one is close to it.

Glenn, what do you use for a foot on your 66 to FMQ! A 'big foot', hopping embroidery foot, darner foot, or the embroidery foot that came with that plate???
Old 05-14-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by marge
Could someone please date these machines.....also how many were made, and where? A friend has just recieved them from his family and would like to know.

thanks, Marge
Can you post pictures????
Old 05-14-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
Pat, Pat, Pat.
I feel good.
The last couple of days have been spent trying to de-gunk and fee the newly acquired 201. It was like digging out dried play dough. Then, I had a devil of a time getting the ring back under the springs on the bobbin race, after having removed it to clean petrified lint. While the oil worked on the 201, I worked on routine maintenance on a couple of 66's, oil, lube, mostly tension adjustments. Even mended a lab coat on one of the 66's. Finally replaced the belt on the Domestic Fiddle Base, and fished miles of thread from the hub and top of the Pitman, and re-oiled it. Back to the 201, it wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread. Lunch. Trouble shoot the needle – yep, in sideways. Fixed. Minor tension adjustments . . . and it sews like a pro. Wow. That's another 4 machines in good working order now.

Started maintenance logs and inventory cards on all of them. Feet for one 66, bobbin winding tire for the other, feet for the Domestic, fix-it-kit and oil for each one of them, ink well for the 201 cabinet. I almost feel organized. Nap time deserved, but scrubbed, need to transfer the tag for my new vehicle. Night at the dinner theater with friends, and PLAY TIME TOMORROW!!!

Whoop, whoop, Pat, Pat.
Pat you are so organized! Geeze, it seems you just have all your ducks in a row -- there are days I feel completely out of whack! It is nice to read a post like this! Inspires me to try harder to keep organized, but with my horse life I am always getting curve balls and my organized life goes out the window!

Nancy
Old 05-14-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I had not before seen a sewing machine that didn't have zig zag on it, though now I realize they also have machines that don't have reverse. I'm learning a TON reading this shop. When the time comes, I hope I'll figure out if it can FMQ or not.

I know Glenn really likes his 66 and can't wait to hear his opinion on FMQ on the 66.
Mpeters1200, I had to laugh after reading this post! You must be very young girl! Zigzag in sewing machines didn't happen regularly until the 50's and later. Most of our vintage machines didn't even reverse, much less zigzag. The early machines that did zigzag were pretty much doing it with the help of a cam or external device. It is so funny the things we learn, things we just take for granted that we always had! I love it!

Nancy
Old 05-14-2011, 05:07 AM

[quote=PJisChaos]

I would love to see your treadle wall hanging that you started. Please post here. A number of us love to see more than the machines, quilting projects too!

Have fun treadling! :)
Love the quilt top! I didn't realize you were piecing the machines, I figured you were using a panel! I'd love to have that pattern - who makes the pattern? I could make that quilt with the colors of my machines!

Nancy
Old 05-14-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-401A-401-...item1e62c3e570

Do you think this is worth $125. I offered $100 and he counter offered. I don't really mind that price but then the shipping is $37.

I really wanted the 500 but from what I'm reading the only difference is the looks...this is still cheaper than the 500's and I can learn to live without the space age look..lol
I love my 503a -- love the looks of it and everything about it, but the bobbin winder -- and I got mine at a barn sale for $10 (pictured page 683)! Those old girls have really been coming up in price now that people have 'discovered' that machine! I only use mine for decorative stitches, but love the machine!

Nancy
Old 05-14-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by colleen53
i am looking on a new singer , sphnix i believe for a serial number.. cann anyone help with this?
I don't believe Singer made the Sphinx with a stitch regulator like that machine? I'd be willing to bet that machine is a reproduction of the Singer 127 - probably made in Taiwan or China? If that is the case the serial number may be under the bed, but you will not be able to 'date' the machine as those records were not kept up.

Nancy
Old 05-14-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by marge
Sorry forgot to list the # A73776 GL851108 or could be

GI851108

thanks Marge
Marge how new is your machine? If the serial number is G1851108, it is a Model 66 with 50,000 allotted on January 8, 1912.

If it is a GL, those records are lost, and we only know it was made sometime after 1935.

Hope this helps.

Nancy
Old 05-14-2011, 05:51 AM

I don't drop the feed dogs and I get a much nicer stitch. I use either the teflon slider or better yet a piece of clear vinyl that I purchase from wal-mart .. Cut the size you want to cover over the bed of the machine and make an opening big enough for the needle to go through the vinyl, keeping the feed dogs covered with the vinyl. Tape the vinyl down with clear shipping tape or lately I'm using blue painters tape just to keep it flat when moving the quilt around. Leah Day has very good tips and videos on her site I think it is daystyledesigns.com. Not positive on that but try it and watch some of her videos, they are so helpful. When doing a large quilt I cover a big share of my table with vinyl.

Suzy