Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
making a  Tshirt  quilt >

making a Tshirt quilt

making a Tshirt quilt

Old 05-14-2011, 10:36 AM

Sorry for your loss, I lost mine 2 weeks before his 21st. I was told to check the stretch of the shirt and the stabilizer, which I did not know had a stretch to it, anyway, when you apply, do so with shirt one way and the stabilizer the other way.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:37 AM

I want you to know how sorry we all are that you have lost a grandson. I have twin grandsons about that age and I know what an awful hole it would leave in my heart.
others have said that it will be a way to deal with the grief, and it may well do that , but if it becomes too emotional for you, then set them aside and give yourself time to grieve. I think it will be a wonderful way to remember him but if it is too hard to do, give it time.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hopefully making the quilt will help with the healing.

I will be watching this thread. I am planning on making t-shirt quilt from all of my Relay For life t-shirts.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:53 AM

my stepson also passed in February. I wanted to make a T-shirt quilt from his t- bt don't know where to start.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:04 AM

maryb119 is totally correct on how to do it. God Be With You in your loss---losing someone you love is never easy but remember we are all here and so is God
Old 05-14-2011, 12:15 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Sorry can't help with the quilt.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:58 PM

sorry to hear of your loss i just made a T shirt quilt and yes use a stabilizer under the t shirts i also used warm and white batting because you only need to do quilting every 10 inches and i was using large t shirts in my quilt
Old 05-14-2011, 01:05 PM

I just made one You have to use lt weight fusible interfacing on each one so they don't strech.You also need a non stick pressing sheet for the ones that have like a rubbery stuff on them if you try to iron the iron will melt it.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:46 PM

I am so sorry about your grandson. A quilt made from his shirts will be a wonderful memorial.
There have been some very good suggestions already posted, especially about using stablilizer. I used the iron-on batting which is bought by the yard and looks like felt, however I was not really happy with it. It didn't stick well on some blocks.
I used 16 blocks that were 16" finished with 6" finished sashing strips and 6" sq. cornerstones to make a 94 inch square king quilt. At least I believe those are the correct sizes. The quilt is with my daughter in Kazakhstan, so I'm going by memory on measurements. I put together 4 sections of 4 blocks each including sashing & cornerstones. I top stitched with the machine through all layers 1/4 in. from the seams of all the sashing strips so that showed on the back. I set them together like the tutorial in the link I am sending. The only difference is I sewed my 4 sections together with the seams to be hand finished on the back rather than the front and it was a cross (+) once on the back side rather than for each block. I made up my method as I went along, but if I did another one, I'd use the QAYG per block method like the tutorial.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52698-1.htm

quilt from sorority tee shirts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196964[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-196958.jpe
Views:	61
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	196964  
Old 05-14-2011, 01:50 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I can say I know how you are feeling. I lost my daughter at age 10 in a auto accident many years ago. They are not supposed to go before us. It never really gets easier, you only come to accept it eventually. He will always be with you and your family in your hearts. I will keep all of you in my prayers. God Bless!

Your T-shirt quilt will bring you wonderful memories and hugs from your grandson.