Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lancaster, PA >

Lancaster, PA

Lancaster, PA

Old 05-14-2011, 10:58 AM

You people are all making me jealous,I was in Lancaster and in Intercourse PA. some years ago and never went to any of those quilt stores, guess we'll have to make another trip out there again. Guess maybe I wasn't into buying fabric at that time. Oh well.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:03 PM

Obies OMG!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the info on the deer fabric. I'll be making a trip soon.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:37 PM

We live about 40 miles south of Lancaster, PA and we go up their quite a bit to check out the quilting shops.

One of the places we have found near there that we really like is in Georgetown, PA. That is about 15 miles south of Lancaster on route 896. It is a small place, so don’t blink or you’ll miss it. On the corner in the middle of town there is a store that is ran by the Amish. It is a neat little store and has a great selection of fabrics and quilting supplies at very reasonable prices. It is kind of off of the beaten path and not really a tourist attraction, I don’t think many people know about it. Many of their customers are the Amish. It is a neat place, besides the fabrics and quilting supplies they also have many other kitchen utensils and other misc. household items used by the Amish.

Go during the day because there is no electric lighting in the store.

Just a fun time if you have a few hours and don’t mind driving a little bit.

Also, directly in back of the store is a nice little restaurant ran by the Amish/Mennonite (???),. I can’t easily tell the difference. It is a great place to stop for lunch.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:44 PM

Katts: I have a friend in Baltimore that took us to Amish country. We went to Wilbur's and to Lancaster and other places. Unfortunately, we live several hours away - in Alabama. Will certainly look for Obies if we ever get back up there.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Did you sign up for Burkholder's newsletter? He always has some type of sale going on......believe now it is fat quarter bundles for 50% off..........he has the nicest fabrics at really good prices.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:11 PM

Obies! Sure brings back memories. Years ago DH always enjoyed chating with Dear Old Obie as hymns played in the background and they sat chewing away on his famous 99¢ ham sandwiches! I enjoyed squeezing thru and climbing over piles of bolts, batting, pillows, etc upstairs
(each riser of the stair had a Bible verse painted on it)
I also enjoyed all the handmade Raggedy Anns and Andys.

I sure wish I could get out there again but DH is in a care facilty with Alzheimers.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:19 PM

I've been to Obie's quilt shop. Isn't it a hoot. Can't go on a cloudy day.

Sophie
Old 05-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter54
Originally Posted by Bluphrog
Originally Posted by echobluff
They don't know what Shoo-fly Pie is here in Wyoming...(sorry, I'm drooling)Sue
Sue, I smiled when I read this, because I have the same problem. No body in Texas knows what Maypo is and I have fond memories of eating it and watching the commercials.
CoCo Wheats where I am in Florida.
I had the same experience with CoCo Wheats when I was on a travel nurse assignment in California. No one knew what it was but the grocery store was willing to order it for me if I had the info. I was so impressed with that, my local grocery store doesn't know the meaning of customer service! :roll:
Old 05-14-2011, 03:27 PM

I used to live near there and Zook's was my favorite fabric store, along with Good's for all kinds of thing plus Ferguson and Hassler and Shady Maple for the best groceries in the world. Sure do miss them all.