Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lancaster, PA >

Lancaster, PA

Lancaster, PA

Old 05-14-2011, 03:45 PM

Thank you for sharing your pictures. I live in Baltimore City and for about 10 years about twice a year I went on a fabric buying bus trip to Lancaster and visited most of the shops mentioned. It was wonderful, I looked forward all year for these trips. I always wanted to see Obie's but we couldn't because the store was too small for a busload of people, I did try to drive up on my own(I am new driver with a poor sense of direction (I took the wrong exit and ended up in Washington DC. I think Lancaster County is the best place to buy fabric in the US (at least on the East anyway).
Old 05-14-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
Originally Posted by echobluff
They don't know what Shoo-fly Pie is here in Wyoming...(sorry, I'm drooling)Sue
Sue, I smiled when I read this, because I have the same problem. No body in Texas knows what Maypo is and I have fond memories of eating it and watching the commercials.
Have you seen the flat, white, limp, anemic looking, southern cornbread in Texas yet? Blech! It's made with white corn and made like we used to make what grandma called "Hoe cakes'. (Corn bread cooked like a pancake, but crispy on the edges.) Grandma was an native Texan, and a Southern Belle to be sure. Where else would you find people who give baby girls names they might one-day learn to spell? Her name was Charlotte Sophronia.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Teresa 54
I live not to far, Reading 1/2 hour away, I went there once 16 years ago, when I moved from NYC, I don't like it when I have to dust fabric off to get to the real color. I never went back, up until that point I had never shopped in a barn or shack. still not used to it, I Bitty Kinna's, I met her during the Lancaster Show, she was extremely personable, very nice, gorgeous fabrics, worth the trip.
My quilting mentor and I were at her shop last year right after she opened. Great fabrics and the shop is so nice and bright. Went back the other day and bought more. A very nice lady. Would highly recommend her shop as well.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by zoey
YOU'RE MAKING ME HOMESICK!!! They were my old stompin' grounds for many moons! Glad you had a great time! Hopefully you indulged in some Pennsylvania Dutch eats!!! They don't know what Shoo-fly Pie is here in Wyoming...(sorry, I'm drooling)
Have you planned your next trip yet??? LOL
Have a great weekend!
Sue
Making me homesick too as I am from Lancaster. No one here eats scrapple or talks about it without making a face or red beet eggs either for that matter.
I LOVE scrapple! My DH just rolls his eyes. Fortunately it's pretty much a staple here in NJ so when we go out for b'fast it's a must have. But I hate it when they deep fry it - should be pan/griddle fried for me.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:08 PM

YOU'RE MAKING ME HOMESICK!!! They were my old stompin' grounds for many moons! Glad you had a great time! Hopefully you indulged in some Pennsylvania Dutch eats!!! They don't know what Shoo-fly Pie is here in Wyoming...(sorry, I'm drooling)
Have a great weekend!
Sue
Shoo-fly Pie, I don't think there is anywhere in the world accept Lancaster Country that has it. I tried to make it once and it was terrible. My family "Pedigree" go back to the 1700's in Lancaster County. Wish I was there!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by lizellen
Thank you for sharing your pictures. I live in Baltimore City and for about 10 years about twice a year I went on a fabric buying bus trip to Lancaster and visited most of the shops mentioned. It was wonderful, I looked forward all year for these trips. I always wanted to see Obie's but we couldn't because the store was too small for a busload of people, I did try to drive up on my own(I am new driver with a poor sense of direction (I took the wrong exit and ended up in Washington DC. I think Lancaster County is the best place to buy fabric in the US (at least on the East anyway).
Baltimore City - my hometown! We'll be there later in the week for the Preakness Balloon festival. Can't wait for real crab cakes!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
Originally Posted by zoey
Have a great weekend!
Sue
Making me homesick too as I am from Lancaster. No one here eats scrapple or talks about it without making a face or red beet eggs either for that matter.
I LOVE scrapple! My DH just rolls his eyes. Fortunately it's pretty much a staple here in NJ so when we go out for b'fast it's a must have. But I hate it when they deep fry it - should be pan/griddle fried for me.
Ok you guys are making me really really homesick. I love Scrapple pan fried with maple syrup. Ok, I'm going home soon. Mom still lives there.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:19 PM

Love reading all these as it brings back memories of my visit to Amish country, but didn't know about Obie's.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:38 PM

I'm looking for a place to go for a long weekend in the fall and this sounds perfect. Any suggestions as to where to stay. Open to anything that is not expensive. Something quiet with a view. I stayed in a chain hotel in the middle of Iowa once that had an absolutely huge picture window facing nothing but rolling cornfields. We were on the second (top) floor. There was a low lying mist in the early morning and it is still one of the best things I've seen, after 7 yrs I can still close my eyes and picture it as if it was yesterday.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:40 PM

where in Lancaster is Obies..do you have an address..I was in Intercourse a couple weeks ago...was with dh heading to Maryland so I didn't have much time...we hit Zooks and Old Country store on the way there and Hayloft on the way home....gots lots of fabric ...like I needed more..heading to Portland IN Monday so I will hit a few shops on the way...blessings