Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reasons to quilt >

Reasons to quilt

Reasons to quilt

Old 05-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Mostly as a sanity keeper...I started when my kids were leaving the nest and I had a bedroom I could use. Then took a couple classes that inspired me that I could do it....got sidetracked with machine embroidery, but ended up not really liking it ...no real challenge. Returned to quilting and now I enjoy it more. I have given all but one quilt away, and I have 10 grandchildren to make quilts for. I hope to make some charity quilts soon too. I want to make some for Birth Choice here in S.CA.

I do make a little money on my fabrics since I am still working a bit with my Etsy Stores. I sell extra fabric and patterns there. I watch for yard sales of people selling their stash. So that helps me buy the fabric I want to use for a particular quilt - or more often buy toys to make it easier.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 AM

Years ago I sewed cloths for the kids, because we were farmers and money was so tight. Then I started quilting, because it was some thing I could do with 5 kids, lots of farm work. We watch every cent we had, we helped support the in-laws for 16 years. At any rate we were blessed, every farm is paid for, we lived long enough to retire, but we still watch the gas money when driving to town. Don`t go any more than we need to.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by peggymunday
I try to quilt for profit. I ran a window treatment business for 10 years and now I've added quilting services. No long arm yet, so some things are limited. I must admit, I'll never get rich. I don't charge near what I should. I know that I wouldn't have as many commissions and I'd rather sell two than none. My quality doesn't suffer, I'm just as particular as if I were charging twice as much. They're just lucky to have found me. And I know if my heart is in the right place, it'll all come back to me anyways. So they get a good deal and I keep pocket change.
AWESOME LADY!! You are so right.....the kindness you give will always come back to you :-D
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM

I quilt for the enjoyment!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 AM

Started out making quilts for family gifts, but then was asked to teach at my LQS. Although I just love teaching, much of my time is now spent making samples for the store's classes. I often feel rushed to complete projects, and we do not get paid for making samples (naturally we just get our pay for teaching the class). I find myself asking, "What techniques will potential students be looking for?" and "What can the LQS owner make a profit on?" rather than making quilts that I want to make. Sometimes it takes a bit of the fun out of the whole process, and sometimes I think maybe I should cut back or quit, but I do like the employee discount and truly love helping new quilters learn how to create quilts. I am also pressed for time because my DGD whom I watch 50 hours/week does not sleep much at all, and then I am too tired to sew at night after I've made dinner. Not complaining...just how it is at this point in my life. DGD will grow up all too fast just like her daddy did!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 AM

For the fun of seeing a new pattern come out right or an old familiar pattern again. I make them for gifts to my family and friends. I love working with the colors, it brightens my day.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:21 AM

I quilt for fun, mostly for family member gifts, charity, donate one for yearly golf tournament,(that we host) and they raffle it. Also donate one for American Cancer Soceity and they raffle it to raise funds. Mainly because I love it, enjoy it, find it very rewarding , and good therapy.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:37 AM

I started out quilting merely for utilitarian purposes. This was years ago. I was sewing a lot and decided to use the scraps and leftovers and old clothes to make quilts for my boys and myself.

More lately I've been making them as gifts for my grandchildren, with "someday" plans to make a wall quilt and one to enter in a show. At the rate I'm going, though, I may not live long enough to make all the quilts on my "someday" list. :lol:
Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 AM

Hello from beautiful WV! Basically I quilt for all the below! I do very few shows. I hand stitch everything so am rather slow in the production area, usually only doing a couple items a month (small) or one larger item. . I also quilt because it is good therapy. I quilt for family, friends, some day maybe for myself. Mostly what is not for family I sell to help make ends meet. Currently I am quilting two double bed size Jacob's ladder for another lady. She provided the top ( someone gave it to her as a gift) and I am quilting for pay. Occasionally O do something for charity.

~~~
Originally Posted by Wonnie
Just curious....how many of you quilt for fun, how many of you quilt for shows, how many of you quilt for pay, how many of you quilt for gifts and how many of you quilt for strictly utilitarian purposes (your new baby, your bed, your sofa, etc.)?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 AM

Only for fun.