Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reasons to quilt >

Reasons to quilt

Reasons to quilt

Old 05-15-2011, 03:57 PM

I quilt mostly for practice and pay, but soon I will include utilitarian projects as well
Old 05-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Because I do not use patterns, it is all about the excitement and challenge for me to make something out of beautiful fabric or donated fabrics for Project Linus. I just love it and now retired, I have all the time in the world to put my quilting puzzles together. I have only made four quilts for pay in six years and then figured I worked for 25cents an hour! Quilting is what I call just a hobby for me.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:38 PM

For fun--usually end up giving to someone else for a gift. My husband asked me the other day when I was going to make quilt for our bed? Haven't made any for myself--well, one of these days--if my machine holds out!!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:06 PM

FUN, most of the quilts I've made have been given as gifts, a few decorate my home and so far two have been donated to a charity that auctions them off, so they have all been fun and that is the only way I'll be able to continue to quilt. :D :D
Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 PM

I quilt for fun!!! Many are gifts, some are just for me, some are for Charity. :thumbup:
Old 05-15-2011, 06:22 PM

For fun. I love every step of the way to making a quilt. I have given most of them away as gifts so far.

Man, do I ever wish I could make some money with my hobby to pay for my hobby. DH woud love it even more!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Just curious....how many of you quilt for fun, how many of you quilt for shows, how many of you quilt for pay, how many of you quilt for gifts and how many of you quilt for strictly utilitarian purposes (your new baby, your bed, your sofa, etc.)?
First for a creative outlet, then fun, therapy, an escape, & the drive to always learn how to do it better.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 PM

Fun, gifts, stress relief (unless I have to rip stuff out, then it's a stress increaser!). No money, no competitions.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Mostly gifts. Years ago I had the fabulious idea I'd open my own sewing business to suppliment income while my husband was in grad school, and I was working as a dental assistant. Well, it didn't take long until I realized it wasn't for me. I didn't quite know how to handle the string of women who needed their clothes taken in because they lost weight when in reality they had gained weight. Didn't quite know how to tacktfully handle that becuase no matter how I gently worded it they kept handing me another item asking to have it tailored. Also getting calls on Thursday by a mother who's daughter was getting married Saturday and wanted a custome dress the mother would then explode when I told her I needed weeks preferably months, saying things like, 'what kind of a professional are you, you say you make custome gowns, I certainly won't come back or recomend you.' Though I didn't say it I wanted to say- 'Oh thank you, you have no idea how releaved I am to hear the last of you.' Now I enjoy sewing on what ever machine crosses my desk as we restore one after another. That and patching my kids jeans again and again.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:01 PM

I quilt because I love it. Most of mine have been gifts for others but I have made two wall hangings for myself and am working on a mystery quilt for myself. Also working on a quilt for great nephew due in June and queen quilt for nephew and his wife in Texas. :D