Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate movers! >

I hate movers!

I hate movers!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM

I'd go after them with a gun, but then I am a bit radical about things like dummies breaking and destroying my stuff! It may not mean anything to them but it does to me and I'm the one that paid for it.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:10 PM

We have moved alot and the worst was when they were unloading boxes and flood water was pouring out of the bottom. Saddest is when I didn't catch them and they crushed the antique christmas ornaments I had gotten from my mother just a few months before. They were wrapped and in a box but they crushed the box flat. I just sat down and cried. But ya know when they pack that stuff they are there to pack not look at everything. But I did catch them before they packed my furniture polish soaked rag... I think some of these people are just stupid. Like loading live plants into the truck. Stupid stupid. 31 years of moves I have alot of stories lol
Old 05-16-2011, 02:10 PM

I've done 2 international moves one sin state and 3 out of state moves and never had a problem. I'm so so sorry that you've had bad luck.

I'll be happy to share some of my stash with you!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:56 PM

I'll be glad to share too! Anything in particular? Color, design, size, etc?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by cjk
yeah they broke some of my mothers china that I can't replace.
Try replacement Limited for the china 800-Replace This company has thousands of patterns also a web site you can ck.
That will give the movers the price to replace your china
i'm surprised they didn't suggest this co. My movers checked every table, chair etc before leaving as they placed the furniture to see if anything needed fixing. The guys were just great in 100 degree humid weather. I used a national company even though it was local move.(United)
Old 05-16-2011, 07:38 PM

We have moved 13 times in 23 years and inevidably something happens. Plastic totes do not move well. We've had as much damage in a short move then overseas. Best way to box fabric is put it in garbage bags then let them box it or tell them you will. The boxes get compressed when they are stacked on the trucks and travel over the roads from bumps etc. We've watched plenty of these get loaded and unloaded. You'll have to weigh how badly you want the claim because most likely you will have to turnover any items you are claiming as damaged to them and there will be a cap amount paid out.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by cjk
I just looked at some of my boxes of fabric and they are nasty dirty and some are even ripped!!! I knew my boxes looked like an elephant had stepped on them but my goodness I didn't know they destroyed some! I even had some in a plastic tote and the tote is busted all the pieces and all thats holding it together is the miles of tape they used. Not sure if I'm up to looking in it right now. I just want to set down and cry!
I am not sure who in your state licenses movers, but if they crossed state lines, they may fall under federal jurisdiction. That said, I would start by calling the FTC, and asking who to send extra copies of your complaint to.(Squeaky wheel gets the oil!) Moving companies are regulated like everything else, and if you do nothing, you are letting this happen to others, and taking an un-needed loss. Ask the moving company who holds their "bonds". All companies are required to be bonded against loss. If you mention this to the moving company, you may be amazed at how fast they want you to be happy with them. A "bond" is like insurance to do business. (They don't want their rates to go up either.) Good luck. I would also check your homeowner's or renter's insurance. They can make you whole, and go after the Mover's insurance company themselves. I hope this is helpful. :thumbup:
Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 PM

I hate moving companies. They have done more destruction than good in the three times we have had to use them for moving. I called the last one "Bust em up Bekins". I know I should not mention names but they destroyed a new upright freezer, and one of the workers stole my stainless steel pressure canner and a large antique bowl. They are all detestable to deal with too. The point is they're all like that so far as I have experienced. Also unless you paid for full replacement coverage,(quite expensive) then they will only pay something like $ .65 per pound of damaged items. We are thinking about moving back to the lower 48 and I am trying to get my husband to agree to a u-haul truck. I sure hope you can do better than we did. Sure sorry for your troubles.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 PM

Just another word of advice to anyone wanting to move with movers. There are boxes called Glass Packs. They are extra sturdy and strong. They are about $4.00 up here but maybe not as much in the lower 48. They are worth it. They hold up to a lot of abuse.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:53 PM

I have ordered from Replacements and was very happy with what I got.Wonderfull place to get lots of good deals on adding to your dishes.