Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt >
  • Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

• Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

Old 05-16-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by margecam52
    Print the photo in greyscale. This will help you determine color value.
    Think about why you like the picture of the cottage so much. Is it the mountains in the background?, the path going up to the cottage?

You made the one mountain/hill look as if it has snowed...that may be one thing...I'd add in the fence...to balance the quilt/pic. Try this...cut out several greens with a bluish tint for that left side hill/mountain...lay it over the white. Lay in a dark brown fence. Audition different colors here and there.

I think you have a great result, but am guessing you are not pleased because your color value does not match the actual picture.
    Thank you. Printing the image in grayscale is a very good idea. I'll try that.
    Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 PM

I like the mountain with the snow!
    Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM

This is a great start- the fence is crucial to give depth and perspective. It allows your eyes to be drawn into the depth of the picture. After the fence try a small bush close up on the right to help give it depth. With that said-as an artist I realize it is easier said then done especially when working in a limited medium but you can pull it off.
    Old 05-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Try adding the tree on the left and the rail fence - perhaps not permanently but just lay the pieces on your main piece. Adding thread painting and perhaps some decorative threads and even beads could make all the difference - texture, dimension, etc. Lovely piece and you have my admiration for tackling something I have only thought about.
    Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM

First of all, I think your quilt is really great. I hope you are not trying to hard to copy the picture,because art is an interpretation. With that being said, I think that thing that strikes me the most is the tree and the smaller tree?/bush is hiding to much of the building. It is very dark fabric which give some contrast, but the size is over-whelming to the building. If you think in terms of landscaping a house, what is the first thing we learn is not to plant to close to the house or have the tree to big. Maybe this is why it is bothering you so much, especially at this stage. Otherwise, I love what you have done so far. Try to go with the advise that less is more. Pick the items in the picture that you love and then only add what you feel is needed to make you happy. I think that thread painting the trees instead of fabric would give you the feathering look you see in the picture. I will be anxious to see the completed project. Don't get discouraged as you have done an excellent job so far.
    Old 05-16-2011, 07:54 PM

I think the moutains behind the stone house need to be darker. The material used now looks more so like clouds that already blends in with the clouds. I would also continue with the darker green (upper right hand) and bring it on past the house on the left side. To contine the flow of the mountain in the back ground. Keep up the good work and post more pix as you go.
    Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 PM

I think it looks GREAT! I have the problem of disliking a project until I have it complete
    Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 PM

Looks good to me. Are you sure its your first attempt. You have a good eye for detail and color which is a gift but could also be your downfall becase you have such a good eye for detail you can see things we wouldn't feel is an issue. I think you are doing a good job.
    Old 05-17-2011, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
    it is great. I wonder if you made the house bricks a little more muted and the mountain in back a bit less snowwy looking it might blend better. But I am NO expert and lay no claim to do it better than you. You are doing great.
    that is what 'hit' me first, the starkness and contrast of the bricks, the rest is wonderful, first try , well done, how else to learn?? look at the pages of replies here, what a wonderful helpful bunch of quilters...ps it almost has a folk-art look to it.
    Old 05-17-2011, 02:00 AM

It's fabulous....btw- were you just as disappointed w/your fist quilt? Learning curve.......keep on! You inspire me to keep an art quilt on my bucket list