Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board >

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Oh I miss the like button on these posts ! What fun reading !
forgot the KISS Keep It Simple forgot the second unless it is Stupid.. oops.. :0)
Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 AM

You're married to the engineer, I'm married to the builder. Go to your local HD or Lowe's. Buy the sheet of plywood and ask them to cut it to the size you want. While you're there get a piece of 1x2" stock and have them cut it into 6 pieces, each 6" long. I set the plywood on the floor, put the ironing board on it upside down, placed a block at each end (narrow side down), one on each slanted edge and one on each straight side. Glue them down with wood glue, gorilla glue, whatever and let them dry. Turn the plywood over and put drywall screws (in abundance here) thru it into the blocks you glued. You might want to predrill your holes to make it easier if you're using a hand screwdriver. Grab a carpenter's stapler and upholster your new 'big board' with batting and cotton. Mine stays secure on top of the ironing board and lives behind the door when not in use. Get independent, girl......and don't show him your project til it's done. :D
Old 05-17-2011, 05:05 AM

Two of my adult nephews are engineers, one a structural engineer and the other an electrical engine. My brother was needing some help designing a pool cover. He asked for advice and his electrical engineer son said, "If you want it done correctly, ask my brother, if you ever want it completed, I'll help you."
Old 05-17-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Goldie
My father was an engineer...I have spent a lifetime getting past that. (Loved him in spite of it all.)
My father was an engineer to. We used to say we'd ask him what time it was, and he'd tell us how to make a watch! :)
Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the good laugh early this morning. I currently work for engineers - going on 14 years. I have an entire building full of them in all different disciplines. I totally understand what you mean. Good luck with your board!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:14 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Originally Posted by GlitzyMe
You're married to the engineer, I'm married to the builder. Go to your local HD or Lowe's. Buy the sheet of plywood and ask them to cut it to the size you want. While you're there get a piece of 1x2" stock and have them cut it into 6 pieces, each 6" long. I set the plywood on the floor, put the ironing board on it upside down, placed a block at each end (narrow side down), one on each slanted edge and one on each straight side. Glue them down with wood glue, gorilla glue, whatever and let them dry. Turn the plywood over and put drywall screws (in abundance here) thru it into the blocks you glued. You might want to predrill your holes to make it easier if you're using a hand screwdriver. Grab a carpenter's stapler and upholster your new 'big board' with batting and cotton. Mine stays secure on top of the ironing board and lives behind the door when not in use. Get independent, girl......and don't show him your project til it's done. :D
Wow !! Terrific !
Old 05-17-2011, 05:23 AM

This is why I have always done it myself without him knowing anything about it. Oh wait, my husband was not allowed to own tools, especially ones with cords.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:35 AM

Sue- I have a similar problem- however mine is that he never does it. SOOOOO I went to Home depot and they cut a piece for me just perfect and I came home and put it together and it's perfect!!! Good luck.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:36 AM

Man, can I relate!!!He makes more HoneyDO projects for himself that I ever could. Most of the time I just smile and do it my way. By the way, my ironing board top is sitting in the corner of the spare bedroom, too heavy to handle.
Brenda
Old 05-17-2011, 05:38 AM

OMG!! I know exactly what you mean!!! Questions..Questions...Questions on EVERY request:)