Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a scrapper? >

Are you a scrapper?

Are you a scrapper?

Old 05-17-2011, 04:35 AM

I consider myself pretty new yet so a planner. Although I do use us scraps from all my projects.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:40 AM

Most of my quilts are scrap quilts. I like being able to go to my stash at anytime to pull fabrics and start a quilt.
But I make a lot of crib quilts so they are usually done in bright solids that coordinate with the machine embroidered blocks.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Unfortunately, finances dictate scrappy right now. My parents were both children of the depression era, so I was raised to "make it work" with what you have.
I'm a child of depression era parents also, and sometimes it's like I lived through it myself! Haven't been able to bring myself to purchase new, full-price fabric for a whole quilt, even though right now I could afford it. Seems like I've always been afraid of the next depression. That is why I have started out scrappy, plus I love the look and the idea of creating something lovely and useful from disparate fabrics. I'm working my way up to a pre-planned quilt. Maybe I'll throw caution to the wind and buy (gasp!) a pattern!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:53 AM

It depends on the pattern and my mood at the time. However, I do tend to be a little on the scrappy side.

I do have two planned quilts on my to-do list -- one is our guild challenge quilt and the other will be a housewarming quilt for my new home. Since my house is a WIP, so is my quilt.

Have the fabric purchased for both of these projects.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:06 AM

Love both! I love planning & putting together themed quilts, but I think I'm more of a scrapper ... Mom, who is almost 89, insists "quilting" is using all the scraps you have ... not going out and buying new fabric! I think I inherited her love of scrapping! I'm currently working on a queen size scrappy column quilt and enjoying every moment of it. It's quilt-as-you-go.

Scrappy Column Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]198201[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-198195.jpe
Views:	14
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	198201  
Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 AM

I would be more of a scrappy quilter if I had my scraps organized!!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:11 AM

I'm totally a scrapper....it's more challenging and fun....rather than co-rdinating fabrics you learn to work with values and most of the time it doesn't even matter what colors you use. I also like being able to pull from my stash at any time and not have to run to the store.....it also allows me to buy most of my fabrics on sale.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:17 AM

a really good website I found some time ago and use a lot of her ideas is: quiltville.com. she has a "Scrap Users s
System" which I have found helpful and use a lot.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 AM

almost everything I make is scrappy. I love that kind. I have so many small pieces in my stash, and I don't have the money to go buy material for a planned quilt. Some of my quilts look like they were planned but it's just that I had material that was big enough from my stash.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Just a scrapper!