Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many of you have a longarm?? >

How many of you have a longarm??

How many of you have a longarm??

Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 AM

I have a gammill classic plus and have been quilting for customers since 2003. I work a full time job also. I am fairly busy for not really advertising. Most of my customers are repeat customers and refer their friends. Someday I will retire from my full time job and just quilt full time. I love it!!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:51 AM

I have a Gamill Classic Plus. She's purple and her name is Violet. I do my own , charity quilts, and hope to quilt for others soon.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 AM

I have one but just doing quilts for myself and family. Do not have time to do others.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
Originally Posted by quilter1
I have a Tin Lizzie 18LS and only use it for myself. It is a great machine and very reliable.
Me too! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Me Too! I love my Tin Lizzie 18LS. I only quilt for myself and have practiced on a few friends quilts. Maybe I'll do some customer quilts when I retire in a couple of years. In the meantime I just practice, practice, practice.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 AM

I have had a Gammil Optimum for 8 years, I quilt for customers, myself and charity. Most of my customers come from my quilting guild and word of mouth. I do custom and some pantos, but prefer the front of the machine.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:59 AM

Just recently I purchased a Grace quilt frame on craigslist. My beginning plan is to start with one of my home machines on it. Since I never expected to even have the full size frame, I wouldn't be surprised if I stumble across a longarm machine someday and add it to my set up.

I haven't loaded my first quilt yet, but have been learning and am excited to do so with the Cars quilt I am making for my GS. He is 5 and helped me piece it so I thought it will be only fitting to have his quilt be the first one on my frame. My steps to LA are slow but I may just get there one day. :-D A girl can dream!!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Banned

I have a Bailey and love it....Considered a mid-arm.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 AM

I got a Grace Pinnacle with a mid-arm Juki in February. I don't want to quilt for the public. I figure this will do me for quilting just for my own pleasure. So far I'm pleased with my purchase. I can't justify the cost of a more expensive setup for just a hobby.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 AM

I got the Gammill Statler Stitcher as my birthday gift from my husband. I started quilting an ugly guilt top, when I finished it to my surprise it finished as a beautiful quilt.
I have a lot to learn. I do plan on quilting all of my quilt tops then I'll be able to say I made this quilt from start to finish.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 AM

I've had my LA since Sept 2007. I had a heart attack and quad by-pass in Oct 2007. The next year, I never touched the machine. I couldn't even lift the weight of a queen size quilt much less stand to quilt it. There's always a learning curve on a machine. You need to take alot of things into consideration. Like, is it going to be free motion or computerized? (A difference of thousands of dollars in initial purchase price.) If you are doing free motion, plan on spending many hours to get used to using different weight threads, learning the speed that is right for you and using pantos. I don't think it's something that you can just walk into and plan on quilting for someone else unless you are stippling. Even then if you go too fast, your bobbin thread will be bigger on the bottom. It's all about control. (Ask me how I know. LOL)

If you are serious about doing quilting for others, there is always a need. After your sure that you can do different stitches, make up a baby sized quilt showing the different stitches that you can do. Join quilt guilds in your area and keep the sample in your car. Bring it up in the meetings that you do long arm quilting, show your sample and let it go from there. Word of mouth is your best advertisment. Make sure you research LAQ in your area for their pricing so you can compete with them. Also make sure than you only take in what you know you can get done in a reasonable time. Check with your homeowners insurance for coverage on property of others in your possession.