Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your sewing machine's name >

Your sewing machine's name

Your sewing machine's name

Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
My 24 year old Janome is "Old Girl", My Pfaff has earned the name "Pfaffy" and the Janome embroidery machine earned the name "little turd!" after it started acting up and had to be sent back to Janome.

Yes I talk to my machines, Pfaffy beeps and stops and a message pops up telling me my bobbin is getting low, my usual comment after it does this about four times is "alright already! Just let me finish this seam!" Old Girl talks back to me, only because I forget that she doesn't drop her foot when I press the pedal like Pfaffy does.

I'm not even talking to LIttle Turd, that machine is having a time out! LOL :)
Lol, I love it, Shadow.
One of my grandbabies laughs at her granddaddy and says, "Granddaddy, your workin on a spank!" :lol:
Old 03-27-2009, 08:05 PM

I don't know how to copy and paste in this format, but as for having a lot of machines, I do, but credit garage sales and people deciding to throw away their machines because they can't make them work, and because I sew, whenever someone decides a machine isn't their bag, they ask me, and I cannot say no! such a weakling! LOL It works out nicely because I can move from one machine to the next if one breaks down ... of course, the mechanic is alway happy to see me coming through with four machines at a time for repair ...
Old 03-28-2009, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
I don't know how to copy and paste in this format, but as for having a lot of machines, I do, but credit garage sales and people deciding to throw away their machines because they can't make them work, and because I sew, whenever someone decides a machine isn't their bag, they ask me, and I cannot say no! such a weakling! LOL It works out nicely because I can move from one machine to the next if one breaks down ... of course, the mechanic is alway happy to see me coming through with four machines at a time for repair ...
I'll bet that mechanic is one happy camper! :D
to copy and paste...the person's box that you want to reply to has a quote button in upper right hand corner, click on that to bring up their stuff, and then you can type below it and submit.
If you just want to type their name and then type your reply, without adding all of their words, you can just click on any box that says reply at any time. If there are other replies below theirs, yours will be at the end of the thread...may have to go over a page or two to see it.
HINT: bc it took me a while before I noticed, when you are typing your reply, you can scroll further down the page, and you will see some of the replies to refresh your memory. Smileys are on left, and if you click on more smileys...you guessed it...you get - more smileys. :D
Old 03-28-2009, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Of course I name my stuff....I thought everybody did...I have Bernadette, my Bernina....Sally, my older Singer...the truck is Frank, the car is Buella, the Jeep is Jimmy...the tractors all have names.....AND of course, depending on their actions...they might have nicknames!!! :oops:
Old 03-28-2009, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Of course I name my stuff....I thought everybody did...I have Bernadette, my Bernina....Sally, my older Singer...the truck is Frank, the car is Buella, the Jeep is Jimmy...the tractors all have names.....AND of course, depending on their actions...they might have nicknames!!! :oops:
I have found that by creating names ahead of time, it saves having to think up adjectives that better explain the personality. :-P Thank you to the ones who helped me figure out "cut and paste" which isn't ... just click on a button ... who would have thunk it??? LOL
Old 03-30-2009, 08:05 PM

Don't have a name for the machine. As for the question about a TV, yes with DVD player and stereo. There is even surround sound! We are so spoiled.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 AM

I really thought I was the only one! I have a Viking Sapphire and wasn't very creative in naming her Sapphire. But I also named the Sewing Advisor who lives inside her: her name is Esmeralda. I'm not sure why. She just sort of strikes me as an Esmeralda! :lol:
Old 04-01-2009, 05:25 AM

Hi Bev!
Unfortunately, I also, have named my Singer Quantum XL 1000 Embroidery & sewing machine a name. Several names, in fact! NONE of which I can write to you about! In fact, the last time I drug it BACK to the Singer Dealer, I was NOT very Lady-Like! In essence I called it the most expensive piece of crap that I've EVER blown money on--would have been better off throwing money out the window & probably would have saved money & stress!
Hopefully my new Husqvarna Viking Scandinavia 300 will be called my new Sweetie! (It's due in tomorrow!) Will let you know how it does.
Rusty :lol:
Old 04-01-2009, 05:47 AM

I inherited "Goldie", she was my mom's featherweight machine. I have no idea if my mother named her machine, but she's got the prettiest gold paint on her.

My mil gave me Rusty. He's an aqua blue Brother who has seen better days. I swear he's made of steel he's so heavy. He is showing some rust spots on the outside screws and the little metal things you put the spool of thread on.

Then, there is Noemi. Named after a favorite aunt, she is my Janome that I got when I'd been quilting a year and needed a better machine. She is wonderful and I might just have to learn how to maintenance her myself because I hate being without her. But, her older siblings aren't working so she's my only shot.

I inherited the baby lock from my late MIL. It was her embroidery machine. I still don't know how to use it yet, but her name is Judy because she was Judy's machine.

I talk to my machines all the time, sometimes graciously...sometimes a bit more like a sailor.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
My 24 year old Janome is "Old Girl", My Pfaff has earned the name "Pfaffy" and the Janome embroidery machine earned the name "little turd!" after it started acting up and had to be sent back to Janome.

Yes I talk to my machines, Pfaffy beeps and stops and a message pops up telling me my bobbin is getting low, my usual comment after it does this about four times is "alright already! Just let me finish this seam!" Old Girl talks back to me, only because I forget that she doesn't drop her foot when I press the pedal like Pfaffy does.

I'm not even talking to LIttle Turd, that machine is having a time out! LOL :)
Little turd is a wonderful name for Janome! I used to say that my 350e had my initial on it, for "Emma", but I have become very unhappy with it, so litte turd would work for me! I have a sort of new"Pfaffy" also, (Unnamed as of yet, just bought HIM on Ebay about a month ago; (Performance 2056)when HE beeps at me the first time about the bobbin, I just open HIS little front door and say OK I don't need your crappy reminder; you're not out of thread yet! (Wonder why the male gender??? Just a whim!) Husqvarna Rose is obviously just "Rosie." A wonderful machine; beautiful stitching, but only does a 4x4 embroidery field. :cry: An old Pfaff, vintage1990 named Deseret' , bought in Palm Desert, CA.
Gammill quilting machine is "Dougmar" (Combo of the couple who run a Touch of Thread where I bought it.) Previous quilting machine HQ16 was named Heidi. 3 sergers, unnamed. Why 3? They all function differently.
Other names are DH's truck "Ewe's Baby" (Dodge Ram)
My car; Green Weenie .
And etc and etc...
We've enjoyed giving nicknames!!!
Oh,oh, and the one and only time I had a dog that had puppies was my Lhasa Apso Tippy...We named her puppies as they were born, and it worked out pretty good!
A- Alphy (version of first letter of Greek alphabet)
B-Baby
C-Candy
D-Dandy
E-Elmo
F- Finney (Version of last letter )
They are all gone now, but what fun, fun little animals! Makes me sad to think of their passing, but should remember all the joy they brought to us!