Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4 yr old wants to sew >

4 yr old wants to sew

4 yr old wants to sew

Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Another simple thing for a child to make is a "sleeping bag"for a small stuffed animal. Just a rectangle sewn on three sides, top left open for the toy to slide inside.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM

doublepost
Old 05-17-2011, 03:04 PM

I think teaching kids to sew is great I taught all 3 of mine sewing....sewing on buttons,and learning to sew on the macine...I do agree a machine that can be slowed down is great .............my 2 grandaughters sew on my brother and are making doll quilts....and they are not perfect,but after all look who is teaching them............
Old 05-17-2011, 05:36 PM

I am helping some of my GD's to sew. To help keep seams even for now I am using a tape seaming foot so they just need to consecrate on the speed. I can use it for binding. You do not have to have the tape in it.
http://www.thesewbox.com/f/Tape_stit...esser_foot.pdf
http://thesewbox.blogspot.com/2008/0...sser-foot.html
Old 05-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Oz

My little DGD (Zippie) wanted to help me sew since she was 2. I put her tall chair next to mine. I taught her how and when to press the start and stop button; reverse and the locking stitch; and the thread cutting button. Many times she'd opt to help me sew rather than play.

Then I hatched the idea of my DGD, my DD and I sewing a quilt together for my dad. So I picked out a very simple pattern and Zippie at 2 1/2 helped me sew the top of the quilt for her great-grampa. I was amazed at her attention span. My DD couldn't help - she broke her elbow in 2 places tripping over the cow (Zippie's riding toy).

I just put the binding on the quilt and need to hand sew it.
My SIL captured photos of Zip and I sewing with DD in the background. We're going to make a label - 3 generations sewing for the fourth - and give it to my dad for Father's Day.

The funniest part is Zippie knows more about sewing than my daughter! It's cute when Zip shows her mom what to do.

I've thought about buying her a little sewing machine for her 3rd birthday (on July 4th) but decided she'd get bored with a little machine - she's too use to my Janome 6600.

If they show interest it's up to us to take them serious and teach them what is appropriate for their dexterity and age level. Each child is different. And all we need is patience. Start slow - let them learn one or two things at a time. And make it fun. It's their first experience sewing and we need to be encouraging.

HAVE FUN!
Old 05-18-2011, 02:37 AM

I have sewn for lots of years and still poke myself.It won't hurt her to prick herself and maybe she will learn to be more careful which I confess I have not learned well. The best person we ever taught was a 4 year old,he was in a group of 4-h'ers and was so good and so careful .Did a good job. older ones sometimes act up some.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:40 AM

Remember those sewing cards that we used to get as kids.
Maybe you could make some up - like using Greeting Cards
on heavy cardboard and punch holes, give a plastic needle
and yard to follow the design. Good Luck...it's making great
memories.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM

Maybe some sewing cards for starters.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:03 PM

My grandkids have sat on my lap and sewed on the machine with me helping them guide and working the foot pedal. The 5 year old is learning to hand piece and she is doing a fairly good job. About 10 minutes is all the attention span a 4 year old has so go for it.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:26 PM

I set my 2 year old on my lap and let him remove the pins as we sew along. He also chooses fabrics from my stash and plays with them. Sometimes I let him control the foot pedal with his hands. I am teaching a 5 and 6 year old basic stitches by hand and the machine as well as learning the names of stitches and parts. The 6 year old is my daughter and has started on her first quilt--a 9 patch. I've cut the pieces for her and she sews them. If it's too wonky she uses her very own seam ripper. Might as well learn to use that thing young...I sure employ it often enough. She has her own sewing basket with small scissors, thread, pins and magnetic pincushion, measureing tape, etc. I also bought her an old inexpensive singer machine so she can sew along with me. I wish it had speed control on it, but this is what I could get. Good luck, and just do what works for you!