Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-19-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by RUSewing
Help needed with a dilemma. DH and I are planning our Will. Sadly none of my children or DILs sew or appreciate vintage machines, what would you with them? (My sewing stash will go to a children's charity.)
Do you have a good friend who would find them happy homes? Or Grandchildren who may one day appreciate having Grandma's machines?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:58 AM

There is no one in my family or small circle of friends. I am fairly isolated, living in the country. I 'saved' the machines for their history and durability.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:58 AM

Help needed with a dilemma. DH and I are planning our Will. Sadly none of my children or DILs sew or appreciate vintage machines, what would you with them? (My sewing stash will go to a children's charity.)
Ask the kids anyway. You might be surprized by the answers. If not, leave them to the grandchildren....or the great grands... if that fails, leave them to a local quilt guild or charity to auction for a fund raiser.
I'm kind of in the same boat...don't know what will happen to my machines...no one else sews...but hopefully they will want them for the sentimental value!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:17 AM

And if all else fails - leave them the name of someone on this board that's close to you and let them sell 'em. Thankfully my daughter will get mine and keep what she wants and sell/give away the rest. At least she appreciates the old girls.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 AM

I'm in the market for a vintage machine to FMQ. I've looked at 301A, 15-91 and maybe a 66. I would like to pay under a $100 total including shipping, would love to pay a lot less, if possible :wink:

The things I've bid on have gone for maybe $150 including shipping.

What about a 15-90, instead of a 15-91 how much difference does the direct drive actually make. Those of you who have experience with all 3 machines what would you hunt for? Is it realistic to pay under $100? I see all the great thrift shop bargains and drool, but have cut our thrift shopping down, will probably increase it shortly, tho. I notice Goodwill itself in Rochester NY area has a lot of machine and will be there in the fall. I should probably wait till then but I'm getting itchy :)
Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 AM

[quote=greeniniWhat about a 15-90, instead of a 15-91 how much difference does the direct drive actually make. Those of you who have experience with all 3 machines what would you hunt for? Is it realistic to pay under $100? I see all the great thrift shop bargains and drool, but have cut our thrift shopping down, will probably increase it shortly, tho. I notice Goodwill itself in Rochester NY area has a lot of machine and will be there in the fall. I should probably wait till then but I'm getting itchy :)[/quote]

I know a 15 would be my next purchase as well. I'm also curious about the difference between a 90 and a 91.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:47 AM

Maybe a stupid question - but cant find any good pics online -- is this an even feed foot or a gathering foot... and where to find a quick how to use
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-199129.jpe
Views:	248
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	199135  
Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Ask the kids anyway. You might be surprized by the answers. If not, leave them to the grandchildren....or the great grands... if that fails, leave them to a local quilt guild or charity to auction for a fund raiser.
I'm kind of in the same boat...don't know what will happen to my machines...no one else sews...but hopefully they will want them for the sentimental value!
Yes ask! You just never know. I just recently found out that my youngest nephew was wanting my Mom's Singer 403 when she passed away. He didn't know at the time, but it was a given that it was coming to me...sewed on it my whole life & Mom and I had already talked it. But apparently my Mom had just begun teaching my nephew to sew right before she died. He said it was more for sentimental reasons than that he would use it. Well guess what? I know now where it goes when I am gone :D
Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
Maybe a stupid question - but cant find any good pics online -- is this an even feed foot or a gathering foot... and where to find a quick how to use
It's a ruffler...
Old 05-19-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by shnnn
It's a ruffler...
Thank you! Wish I would have known that last week while I was gathering curtains!