Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to buy thread? >

When to buy thread?

When to buy thread?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 AM

Go along with this, have sewn 40 plus years, unfortunately not quilting. None-the-less, all sewing gets a lot of wear and tear and bad thread will keep breaking or shred so you will know before too long if it is good or not. I personally have thread from decades ago and it works out fine. She may have been talking from personal preference too.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:08 AM

I tell my students that when piecing it is a good time to use up that old thread. Use light with lights and dark with darks. I tell them they need to test it of course.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:10 AM

I've never heard of such a thing. The fabric is made of thread, so how would that last if the thread won't??
Old 05-19-2011, 09:27 AM

I was always told that if you store thread in a dark place! I have tons of thread could not tell you how old it is, I have brought thread and the same day use it and it breaks!!!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:01 AM

please tell me how your grandmother's thread was stored? My MIL was a seamstress of wedding gowns for many, many years and when all her supplies came to me, the large spools of thread were rotted - they simply broke off in my hands. It destroyed me to have to discard so many large spools.
Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
i have threads from years and years ago ~ they have been stored properly, and are still soft and strong. You can feel when thread dries out, then it is weakened and will snap and give you all sorts of fits. But you can sometimes rejuvenate an old spool by sticking it in the freezer overnight.

I have threads that say $.15 on the ends!!! my grandmother lived thru the depression, she never threw anything out! So I have thread that she bought at Woolworth's in probably the 40's and 50's, and because of the way she stored it, I am still working on using it up :)
Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by babyfireo4
I would say she was helping the lqs. If thread holds the quilt together for years and years why would it even be possible for it to go bad within one year? It just doesn't add up to me :/
I agree with you. If its holding the quilt together, it should be okay.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:26 AM

I have thread that I have had for years, and even some my grandmother had. I recently had to repair a quilt I made my son 25 years ago, and the thread was still so strong I could hardly get the binding off for the repair. I buy multiple spools at a time, usually. I can not imagine anyone saying that!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 AM

I never throw out thread, unless you stoe outside and expose it to the elements of weather, etc. it should last.
Never heard of this.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:32 AM

So if you have to buy new thread for every project or quilt...does that mean it won't last more then a year in what ever you make? Crazy!!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 AM

That's me too. Some of my thread belonged to my grandmother in law. (Along with her darning ball) I'd use the thread (silk) not the darning ball. If it breaks easily no but if it doesn't - go with it. I'm glad you asked this question. I thought I was just being cheap - er frugal.
Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
i have threads from years and years ago ~ they have been stored properly, and are still soft and strong. You can feel when thread dries out, then it is weakened and will snap and give you all sorts of fits. But you can sometimes rejuvenate an old spool by sticking it in the freezer overnight.

I have threads that say $.15 on the ends!!! my grandmother lived thru the depression, she never threw anything out! So I have thread that she bought at Woolworth's in probably the 40's and 50's, and because of the way she stored it, I am still working on using it up :)
:-D :-D :-D