Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM

[quote=mpeters1200][quote=Darcene]
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I k
Now I haven't been able to read through all of the first 900 pages, but I have no idea the difference. My 66 has a motor and a belt. So does one only have a motor and the other only a belt? Is the belt one treadle only? Sorry for elementary questions....I just don't know. Potted motors? Were those added later to transfer a treadle machine to electric power?
Many of the older machines started their lives as treadle machines...then when more people had electricity become available the machines were converted to electrical power by mounting a motor onto the machine which was then connected to the drive shaft by use of an external belt. These are referred to as the belt drive machines. As electricity became more and more prevalent Singer developed a motor that was original to the machine and which did not require a belt. These motors are mounted up high on the tower of the machine and drive the drive shaft by use of internal gears....so if you find a machine that does not have an external belt and has a motor mounted up close to the top of the arm you have a potted motor....I hope this helps...it took me awhile to learn the difference and I hope that I have not made this too confusing.... :-) The 15-90 can be easily converted to a treadle while I don't think this is possible with the 15-91 due to the internal gears.....
Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM

Darcene; Thanks for the quick reply. I knew someone would know the answer and yes I did write it down. Now to put it with my sewing machine information.

A potted motor means, I believe, that the motor is all covered up, like a turtle in its shell, without any belt or even motor parts showing. The motor actually comes in a pot, of sorts. the belt driven motor has a belt which is visible and can be adjusted if it's too loose or too tight. I hope this helps. There actually is a good explanantion in the pages but mine is just my understanding of the difference.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 AM

[quote=greenini]Darcene, I'm not quite *that* itchy :lol: :lol: , take your time. I *was* a bit miffed that the machine I bid 11.01 for on the Goodwill site went off for about $2 more, but it was a "don't know if this works at all " special. I figured for that kind of $ I could take a flyer and was convinced it was mine...oh, well.

I just unearthed a 15-91.....and I know for a fact that there are a couple of 15-90's in the mix.....I had to stop and come up for air....who bought all of these and put them in my house anyway....oh, by the way, there is another auction this weekend....there is a FW just waiting to come home with me....oh, I am in so much trouble......help me, I'm drowning......but, on a good note the FW won't take up too much room right?
:roll:
Old 05-19-2011, 11:26 AM

I have two 99 questions. My 99 was built in 1924 but she runs nicely if a little louder than the 15-91 I just rehomed. My question is about FMQ: Can you drop the feed dogs to FMQ on this machine? If not, it's okay.
2nd question: This probably needs a picture. In all the 99 manuals on-line, to thread the bobbin there is a thing on the front to run the thread through before it hits the bobbin. On mine, I don't have that thing/dohickey, but my stitch regulator has an area that looks like that might be its purpose as it is smooth like for thread to be run through. Does anyone have any ideas about this? I only have the one bobbin b/c I'm not sure what size she takes so cannot play with it plus need the bobbin tire winder piece.
I just want to know for my sake as I do have other machines to FMQ with in my collection. She is knee press operated and having tension issues but working on those also.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I have two 99 questions. My 99 was built in 1924 but she runs nicely if a little louder than the 15-91 I just rehomed. My question is about FMQ: Can you drop the feed dogs to FMQ on this machine? If not, it's okay.
2nd question: This probably needs a picture. In all the 99 manuals on-line, to thread the bobbin there is a thing on the front to run the thread through before it hits the bobbin. On mine, I don't have that thing/dohickey, but my stitch regulator has an area that looks like that might be its purpose as it is smooth like for thread to be run through. Does anyone have any ideas about this? I only have the one bobbin b/c I'm not sure what size she takes so cannot play with it plus need the bobbin tire winder piece.
I just want to know for my sake as I do have other machines to FMQ with in my collection. She is knee press operated and having tension issues but working on those also.
Chris, I just moved a 99 into the other room and that is all that I know about them...I just haven't had time to play with her yet...I hope that someone else will jump in here with an answer for us.... :-D
Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM

Greenini, a 301 is good for FMQ because the vertical bobbin feeds the thread straight into the stitch. With a flat bobbin the thread has to make a 45 degree turn. I have no trouble with 'birdnests' underneath like so many do. As far as sitting up on a table, she sits in the cut out in my serger table. I had to take off the legs that supported the extension and use two novels to make the height perfect, but, hey, whatever works. She has a $1 Kenmore cabinet waiting for her, but I need to get a 2 x4 and cut it to fit to make it perfect.

Bojangles, my 128 is totally black except for any thread guides, the presser foot lever, the handwheel and the Singer emblem. Even her faceplate is black, as are the thumbscrews and the presser foot.

There was a 15 on ebay last night going for $10, but I'm not sure I want to ship a heavy machine. The 301 came through in great shape, but she only weighs 16 pounds and was well packed. There are several 301s at good prices if you look far enough in the pages. Just checked - the 15 is up to $24 and it ends in four hours. The buttonholer I wanted ended because I forgot to check this morning. Whoops!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:06 PM

chris_quilts -- are you talking about winding the bobbin? If so I think you may be missing the tension disk that goes there - not sure it would wind a decent bobbin without it.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 PM

The Singer 99 takes a regular class 66 bobbin.
To wind the bobbin on the older 99's you take the thread from the spool to the wire hook on top left, then to a little notched hook on the bottom of the bobbin winder, then to the arm that swings left to right across the bobbin as it winds, then to the bobbin. I wind some thread on the bobbin by hand a few turns before putting the bobbin on the bobbin winder. The bobbin has a little notch and there is a tiny tooth on the winder that fits into that notch. Then push down the clamp to tighten the winder against the wheel. Turn the flat knob on the inside of the handwheel counterclockwise to disengage the machine. --I can send a picture if you want one.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by shnnn
chris_quilts -- are you talking about winding the bobbin? If so I think you may be missing the tension disk that goes there - not sure it would wind a decent bobbin without it.
The newer 99's have that little tensioner on the base of the machine, the older ones didn't have it. I have both versions on my 99's --depending on the year of their make.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 PM

Here is our latest machine.

We acquired the machine (hubby traded one of his swords for it) one weekend and the table (he traded an antique pistol) the following weekend at two different locations, both were at outdoor antique fairs.

I was looking for cams for my 500A Rocketeer at the first antique fair. I found nearly all the ones I needed and a professional buttonholer for the Rocketeer.

Hubby spied the 301. It needed a few parts but hubby didn't have much into the sword so we got a good deal.
We have replaced the needle plate, the bottom cover with the felt pad & screw, a complete hook assembly and a bobbin case.

The last part came today and then I attempted to put the hook assembly in and I knew it had to go in a certain way. Oh, I had to replace a gib screw for the gib which is part of the hook assembly. The man I purchased the gib screw from deals with Featherweights and 301s. I just called him and asked him if he would talk me through putting the hook assembly in. First time the needle hit, so I knew I hadn't seated the assembly correctly on the shaft. The second time, it went on like it was suppose to. I must admit I did say a prayer the second time before putting it back on.

I haven't named her yet. All I know is that this machine was the dirtiest machine I have ever cleaned. Must have belonged to a smoker, but once the tar and nicotine was off she shined up nice.

For now she sits in our living room ready to sew, near the Rocketeer and some of the other machines we have. It's getting crowded in here and we just rearranged the living room to accomodate the Rocketeer. lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-199283.jpe
Views:	277
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	199289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-199284.jpe
Views:	325
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	199290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-199285.jpe
Views:	326
Size:	39.5 KB