Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Finally got eight points together... >

Finally got eight points together...

Finally got eight points together...

Old 10-16-2007, 11:43 PM

Steve, you're star is absolutely beautiful!!! Your color choices are stunning! You need to quit being so hard on yourself :!: Your work is just fine! I thought I'd ask you if your lighting is ok where you are sewing? Sometimes (even with good eyesight) the lighting can be improved upon. You may find an Ott light would help quite a bit They are expensive but they provide very natural lighting & make a big difference in how well we see.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:57 PM

I was using natural sun light at the time, though, as I said my eyesight is poor (did I say thank you ATT for the wonderful light source at work and the splitting headaches that entails?).

Even so (sew) the 'vision' is good, meaning I know what I want. It isn't so much as I'm hard on myself, as I expect greater things from it all. Don't you try harder every time to make it better, honestly? I think somehow that's how life should be.

Expectations, yes, that is it, expectations and a striving towards them in a true accord.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:59 PM

Oh yeah, and I keep hearing about my color choices and how it works, though honestly I just look and go for it. :wink:
Old 10-17-2007, 02:45 AM

Steve said:

Oh yeah, and I keep hearing about my color choices and how it works, though honestly I just look and go for it.

It seems you have a natural talent for color!

I find that there is a fine line of expectations. I would love for everything to turn out perfectly the first time I try, which seldom, if ever, happens. If I put too much of an expectation on it, then I would, or do, get discouraged and may not want to try (HA! Do!) it again.

Perhaps that is what we are concerned about when you seem to worry about how well you are doing. It does not seem to be that way, however, since you do keep going on! I hope this made sense. :oops:
Old 10-17-2007, 05:31 AM

Good job of matching the intersections! This is a harder block than some might think.

:)
Old 10-17-2007, 09:28 AM

Thanks, what really amazes me is when I see a Texas star that extends a dozen diamonds out. I've a profound respect anyway for those that can do it well.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:43 PM

Did you do strip piecing to do your (near enough perfect star) LOL ? I always try to do better but don't usually sweat the little stuff. Besides imperfections give a little personality to the work. I remember when I took a pottery class years ago I would try to throw a perfect bowl in class & my instructor would say that's nice...but it would look better if it wasn't perfectly round so that it didn't look like you used a mold. She used to push her bowls out of round a little so that they were not perfectly round. Maybe a string quilt or something with less boundries would be a good type of exercise for you to help you loosen up & relax? LOL
Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 PM

No, I used the "Stars by Magic" book by Nancy Johynson-Srebro that I mentioned. It's an interesting concept, but as I said, I think I'd like to try the other methods just for experience. More than one way to quilt as I've been told, it's all good.
:D
Old 10-18-2007, 01:23 AM

Steve, has anyone ever suggested a cornea transplant? I just found out that I have a condition called Kerataconus. Have you heard of it? It is a condition where the cornea is not the smooth surface it is supposed to be. I just learned about this recently when I tried to get updated contacts. My vision would change every two minutes! After mapping my cornea, my doc could see the problem. Instead of nice smooth corneas, I have corneas that look like a topographical map with large cone-shaped hills and valleys. However, I did get new contacts after four months of hydrating my eyes. But a transplant could be in my future.

There's always something new, which gives us reason to hope.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:32 AM

Then again sometimes I just need to open them and read instructions more carefully. This one turned out better after I noticed a couple items I'd breezed over when initially reading. :roll:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-54135.jpe
Views:	39
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	54135