Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate it when... >

I hate it when...

I hate it when...

Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
...when I have my didningroom torn apart to have a large place to design & lay out a watercolor piano quilt on our floor, and ya have a zillion 2" squares. I had been working on it for weeks flipping and turning, fussy cutting and I am nearly satisfied with all my efforts. And I tell my husband I am burning up and like the sweetheart he is he slides open the deck door adjasent to the diningroom and like New Year's day all those little 2" squares flutter all in a swirl from the freaking wind rushing in the door. He felt horrible and I was cooled off by the wind...LOL . Not then and not now! Well maybe a little giggle.

Has that ever happened to anyone?
I read this to my DH - and before I got to the punch line, ne said 'He opened the door.' He gets it! Let's hope he remembers it, too!

OMG - how long did it take you to get them all back in place?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:12 AM

Reading all these comments has me laughing! Been there and done that with most of them.

My solution for not getting too upset with the bobbin running out is to wind up several at a time. Then when it runs out, I don't have to take the time to wind another. I can just pop in a new one.

My Babylock made a little ring/ping noise to let you know the thread is running out. AND it has a see through case so I can see when it really will run out. And of course I've accidently still continued sewing after running out of bobbin! :roll:

So my hate is when I'm tired, have only one more triangle or square to finish the block and I sew it on backwards, upside down or something dumb and have to rip it out.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 PM

when i cut the triangles the wrong way
Old 04-03-2009, 10:57 AM

I guess we've all had the same mishaps at one time or another! And we keep repeating them!
But as for your table, I have the same problem. If your table is not too heavy though, you may be able to boost it up. I can't do it with my dining room table, but I have two folding tables that I sometimes put side by side for pin basting. One table lis shorter than the other, so my DH cut a couple of wood blocks to set the table legs on. He even cut a little recessed area so the table leg wouldn't slide off the block.
At alocal quilt shop, when they need an extra cutting table, they set up a folding table, and stick the legs into short lengths of PVC tubing. Because the table legs have an L-shape, the horizontal part rests on the edge of the PVC. So you don't need anything else besides the PVC cut to the right length.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:01 AM

Have you tried to find someone to take the mystery stuff off your hands?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:51 AM

Have you seen them advertise the things on TV that you put under your bed legs to make the bed sit up higher so you are able to store things under the bed? I wonder if they might work to boost the table up a little higher?
Old 04-04-2009, 03:17 AM

Can anyone tell me the "grit" of those adhesive sandpaper discs? I figure my woodworking DH can let me have one sheet of adhesive sandpaper from his random orbit sander so I can cut my own, and share with friends.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:10 AM

I have done that before,then used two way tape to put on the back so it would stick to the ruler.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:06 AM

I have the sticky sand paper dots...they work well and the grit is very fine, so as not to snag the fabric! Also at our guild we use those plastic cones under our cutting table legs they are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:22 AM

to replace what the whirlwind did was a long time! My husband is always so helpful and great about fabric shopping, he usually goes with me. It is one of those memories I am tickled to have but I would not want to ever repeat! Know what I mean.

I just rememberd once I was up in my quilt room and had a whole quilt on my design wall. It had been up for quite a while. I was squatting on my floor and I was auditioning stacks of fabric for another project and was hot again, YUP you guessed it I reached up and pulled the chain on the ceiling fan. I guess my husband belong together. There we go again "all a flutter" maybe that should be my screen name. What cha' think...hmmm..All a flutter, never thought about that before.