Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Laminate floor in sewing room >

Laminate floor in sewing room

Laminate floor in sewing room

Old 05-20-2011, 06:14 AM

Another thing - we installed it in the bird room also. I have an African grey that I let out of his cage. He poops everywhere and for a quick clean up before mopping, I take a putty knife to the floor! I sometimes pin-baste in the LR and can feel the pins raking the floor. Pull the quilt up and not a single scratch!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I have noticed that some laminate floors are very noisy whereas others are not. Be sure to check out that aspect before purchasing a specific laminate. Not sure what causes the difference -- probably has at least something to do with the underlayment.
You are correct. one of my sons used to do this and he said that the underlaying has a lot to do with the final floor.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:32 AM

We put laminate in after having carpet and really like it and it is much easier to keep clean.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:35 AM

we put that down in our kitchen and sun room....Love it...its VERY easy to put down compaired to laminate which we have in other rooms...love both ....it's just less headache in installation.....no tools needed excet heavy duty sizzors for cutting.....
Originally Posted by Jory
I found something that is cheaper than laminate, impervious to water, easy to install. It's called resilient vinyl flooring, the name brand is "Allure," and it's at Home Depot. It can be a DIY project: about $2.30/sq ft. All kinds of patterns, too: wood, tile, etc. I installed an oak finish in my basement, and it looks fantastic!

The planks already have the backing attached: you can install it right over concrete or underlayment.

Jory
Old 05-20-2011, 06:36 AM

I also have a wood Laminate floor from Lowes. I agree don't go too dark, it will also make your room look and feel smaller. I love cleaning my floor with a simple swifter. No more carpet ever in my sewing room....
Old 05-20-2011, 06:54 AM

I have had laminate for years and love it.
It isnt as cold to walk on as tile and looks much better.
I have two different ones in two different houses.
One is very light and one is a medium. I like both.
One is a cheaper grade and one is a step up. I dont see a difference so far in quality.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:55 AM

We have laminate - got rid of the carpeting - and put an area rug so we could roll with our chairs better. We love it!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:22 AM

I have laminate floor in my office I love it. After we pay off our mortgage I hope to save up for the laminate to go in my sewing space. :thumbup:
Old 05-20-2011, 07:22 AM

I have pergo throughout my house and I love it. You can't beat it for laying out and pinning a quilt sandwich, nothing harms the stuff! It laughs at pet messes! It just needs to be cleaned with vinegar and water to bring back the shine!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
I may be moving to a house with sedillo tile throughout except for the master bedroom which has laminate wood flooring. I am wondering about having my piano on the tile and my treadle machines on the laminate. Anyone have any experience with these floors. Thanks.
I don't know about the piano,but I put floor protectors under my treadle because it's pretty heavy and I don't want to leave marks on the floor.