Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting/hoop stand >

Hand quilting/hoop stand

Hand quilting/hoop stand

Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by darlenedowns
I am short and have them all but I go back to the 14" or 12" hoop
easy to control Those stands just get in my way and I am one the likes control
I am not short but have short arms and a 12" hoop is so much more comfortable to work on. You may have to move it a bit more, but to me it is all part of the wonderful process of hand quilting. I baste with needle and thread rather than pins. I make a grid about a hands with apart. Works beautifully for me.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 PM

I have a lap frame and I love it. The base sits on my lap and I can tilt and turn the top and it's square shaped.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 PM

I have one of those large Hinteburg round hoops on a stand, it always was tipping over. Looked pretty in the family room but I had to stretch my arms too much to use it, awkward. I now use a square Grace lap hoop on stand that works well.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:56 PM

My last quilt was quilted on a frame, queen size. when I took it off the frame for the binding, I found out that I could have easily quilted it in my lap after some settling in stitches on the frame. The same size is on my frame now, but I plan to take it off soon. So easy to find little mistakes!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I use a plain old lap hoop with no stand at all. This is how I learned to quilt. It enabled me to turn the quilt any which way, which probably ingrained bad quilting habits but I do love my lap hoop and love being able to contort myself into all kinds of positions to quilt.
This is exactly the way I do mine. I baste the layers together though first. Begin in about the middle of the
quilt and work towards the edges. Keeps from getting a
little ripple here and there in the backing. I can sit in my
favorite chair in about any position I choose. Have back trouble so this helps me not to have to lean over in a
certain position for long lengths of time.l
Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 PM

I hand quilt with a ordinary lap hoop, or my laptop hoop (similar to the one in the Keepsake catelog) or my floor stand, or even without a hoop. Just depends on what I am quilting and where I am. My hubby made me a table that is the perfect height to put the laptop hoop "stand" on and this allows the large quilt's weight to rest on the table and not on my lap, my legs and feet? Really like my laptop hoop. I have also sat at my breakfast table and rested the quilt on that and used my ordinary quilting hoop. When I sit at the table, I can rest the top part of the hoop on the edge of the table and the bottom part on my left arm. The weight of the quilt is on the table.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:22 AM

Personally, I am uncomfortable with any fixed stand...I by far prefer a free hoop and just rest it against a chair back or bedside to rest the weight of a big quilt on it ; smaller pieces I just hold it in my hands and lap and can work just fine.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:00 AM

I just tried to hand quilt with no hoop and that didn't work too well. So got my 6" embroidery hoop to just try it out and that works great! Was able to lean back in my chair, with Daisy May (my 4 legged child) snuggled in next to me, and quilted away. I feel liberated!!! LOL!!! Oh...and by the way Daisy says thank you too because she got her Momma back. ;-)
Old 04-25-2011, 02:33 PM

my mom had a hoop on a stand, but for a larger quilt, it tended to tip over. a friend uses her lap hoop all the time (1st putting the qult on a big frame, then basting it together), she felt she could throw it in a closet and out of the way any time company came....... also take it with her. she would start in the middle, then work her way to the edges.
just have a bag you can put it in, so it isn't touchingt the floor in the closet. you can use a sheet under it when quilting, if you don't want it on your floor.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Possibly someone can give me a little help... I was given a Grace quilt frame that resembles the EZ3 frame. The difference is that the EZ3 looks like it has metal bars for the quilt. This frame does not. It has wood. There were no directions on attaching the quilt. Any ideas? I contacted the Grace company, but so far have not gotten a reply.