Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Garage Sale Find and need advice >

Garage Sale Find and need advice

Garage Sale Find and need advice

Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
One should also be careful of bedbugs when bringing used items, especially clothes, linens, and fabrics in. They can live without hosts/food for 1.5 years. Only extreme heat (not ordinary washing) and harsh chemicals can kills them and their eggs. They are very difficult and expensive to get rid of. Once your home is invaded, you'll end up spending thousands of dollars and throwing out thousands of dollars worth of household goods. The psychological stress is also considerable. I would only bring in used fabric items if I could first take then to a laundromat to wash and dry on high heat for two hours. Hardly worth it, IMO. For blocks, I guess I'd press each one well on high heat. They are all over the US, epidemic in some areas. Very upscale hotels have been affected. Treating a single hotel room costs thousands. Do some research. I hate to be a kill-joy, but they are a nightmare.
this is my reason all of my fabric regardless of origin goes into the washer and then dried on high for 30 minutes. (recommended time)If I cannot get to it right away, I will sometimes toss it into the freezer until I can or just leave it on the porch. I had one of my best friends just give me three bags of beautiful print sheets, and even they went into the wash. scary little boogers they are!!!

One should also be careful of bedbugs when bringing used items, especially clothes, linens, and fabrics in. They can live without hosts/food for 1.5 years. Only extreme heat (not ordinary washing) and harsh chemicals can kills them and their eggs. They are very difficult and expensive to get rid of. Once your home is invaded, you'll end up spending thousands of dollars and throwing out thousands of dollars worth of household goods. The psychological stress is also considerable. I would only bring in used fabric items if I could first take then to a laundromat to wash and dry on high heat for two hours. Hardly worth it, IMO. For blocks, I guess I'd press each one well on high heat. They are all over the US, epidemic in some areas. Very upscale hotels have been affected. Treating a single hotel room costs thousands. Do some research. I hate to be a kill-joy, but they are a nightmare.
this is my reason all of my fabric regardless of origin goes into the washer and then dried on high for 30 minutes. (recommended time)If I cannot get to it right away, I will sometimes toss it into the freezer until I can or just leave it on the porch. I had one of my best friends just give me three bags of beautiful print sheets, and even they went into the wash. scary little boogers they are!!!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:25 AM

great finds
Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I would put the blocks in a lingerie bag and wash them. If they fall apart, so what? You can't use them the way they are. To me, it would be worth the gamble.
Ditto: & I always use a little vinegar to take out any unwanted odors(smoke, persperation, etc...) it always does the trick!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:51 AM

You can also try odor ban in the wash or when soaking
Old 05-20-2011, 09:52 AM

You can also try odor ban in the wash or when soaking
Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 AM

I would hand wash them with something like Woolite and a few drops of a scented fabric.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Great find!! I would wash them on delicate and add vinegar to the water. That usually works for me. You could also soak them in the solution of water, soap and vigegar prior to the actual cycle. Congrats!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM

i would soak the 108 cut blocks in vinegar, as suggested, but outside, and then hand swish them in sudsy water. i like ivory flakes when i can find it or make your own with a potato peeler, or a gentle liquid hand soap. i would use hot water and do the reds separately. you don't know what you have there. then i would dry outside, laying them flat if possible. those blocks look familiar. look at my avatar.