Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Re:  Quilting Spaces >

Re: Quilting Spaces

Re: Quilting Spaces

Old 05-20-2011, 08:05 AM

I live in a double wide mobil home, I did have two room for my sewing storage, but I have my son his GF and my 9 Year old GD living with us, so I'm cromped into one small room. My son just came up with this ideal and made me a shelf, more storage, yea!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-199610.jpe
Views:	232
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	199616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-199611.jpe
Views:	228
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	199617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-199612.jpe
Views:	154
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	199618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-199613.jpe
Views:	152
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	199619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-199615.jpe
Views:	150
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	199621  

Old 05-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Here is my area: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-115294-1.htm, very small but fairly functional.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by grammatjr
Here is my area: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-115294-1.htm, very small but fairly functional.
How do you clean your iron with salt?
Also I like your space, you could put another shelf above the one already there. The only space you have left if vertical.LOL
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by g-maquilts
Also I like your space, you could put another shelf above the one already there. The only space you have left if vertical.LOL

To clean an iron that is just metal (not teflon), I have a brown paper bag, dump in a handful of table salt. Then, run a hot iron around in the salt until the metal is clean. The salt can be kept and reused.

I am still searching for a quick, easy way to clean a teflon iron. I have an iron that got some fusible on it. Yuck!

My hubby plans to build a shelf for the corner, so I have a place to put the boxes of projects for easy access.

Above the wall shelf is SUPPOSED to be pics of my grandkids, but that project somehow isn't getting done1 You can see my kids in my avitar.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by g-maquilts

To clean an iron that is just metal (not teflon), I have a brown paper bag, dump in a handful of table salt. Then, run a hot iron around in the salt until the metal is clean. The salt can be kept and reused.

I am still searching for a quick, easy way to clean a teflon iron. I have an iron that got some fusible on it. Yuck!

My hubby plans to build a shelf for the corner, so I have a place to put the boxes of projects for easy access.

Above the wall shelf is SUPPOSED to be pics of my grandkids, but that project somehow isn't getting done1 You can see my kids in my avitar.
I use a product called IRON CLEAN the brand is Bo-Nash.
I think I got it from Clotilde sewing . Try www.boash.com or E-mail: [email protected].
This reasonably priced and you don't need to use a whole sheet
Old 05-20-2011, 09:57 AM

I use a product called IRON CLEAN the brand is Bo-Nash.
I think I got it from Clotilde sewing . Try www.boash.com or E-mail: [email protected].
This reasonably priced and you don't need to use a whole sheet[/quote]

Great thanks for the info - I will look it up!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by busyasabee
I am interested in receiving photos/ideas of work spaces from those who DON'T have rooms set aside for quilting and DO have a husband, kids running in and out of the house, a son who leaves books laying all over, a dog who isn't interested in reading but does like to do other things with books, an autistic son who is interested in my sewing machine (but I don't think that is such a good thing right now) and a little girl who is as cute as a button and loves to ask questions (all of them good) but sometimes by this point I am ready to take the sewing machine into the bathroom, lock the door and make that my quilting area. Thank you!
P.S. It is not neccesary to fill all the above requirements...
I now have a sewing room I used to only dream about 40 years ago. I had heard of someone sewing in the bathroom because it was the biggest space available. Someone made a table that was lowered on pulleys over the bathtub and extended far enough to pull a chair up. I was floored by this description. I don't know where she put her fabric but her sewing machine was kept in its case on the bathroom closet floor. The door did have a lock on it. Since we ironed in the bathroom of a house we once lived in, it wasn't a stretch to imagine a retractable sewing table.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:42 AM

Check this blog for an idea .. maybe this could work for you ~

http://lindycottagehill.blogspot.com

click on the pic on the right side 'DIY Sewing Armoire'.

HTH ~ :D
Old 05-20-2011, 10:57 AM

I have a sewing room, the smallest bedroom. It's about 9X12 so it's pretty small. BUT, I have so much stuff and it's such a mess that I drag the sewing machine and cut on the kitchen table.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:00 AM

My sewing room is a portion of my bedroom. My long cardboard table with my sewing machine and notions sits in front of my dresser (can't get any clothes now) and my ironing board is set next to my bed. However I do have a house in Arizona with a room for quilting, but I only get there 3-4 times a year. I look forward to retirement so I can use my quilting room!