Visit to USA 2012

Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jacki
Thanks Everyone
Of course I should have said Washington DC - the Smithsonian is a must of course but we are thinking of a 2/3 week trip. March sounds good. Pity about the bus.
Food for thought - many, many thanks.
Jacki
Don't forget, there are some bus tours you could do - see if any are going in the direction that you wish to see. 3 weeks - shoot, you could see/do so much in that time - NY, DC and PA.- Philadelphia would be an interesting historical see and its a great city. Here's something:

Bus Tours to DC From Central Pennsylvania | eHow.com Headquartered in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, Conestoga Tours offers many different day ... Rohrer's Bus also runs a number of tours to Washington D.C. from the ...
www.ehow.com › US Travel - Cached - Similar

here's another:

The Bus Station - USA Links: Pennsylvania Oct 21, 2010 ... Big Bus Tours: open top bus tours of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA O ... Travel - providing a daily bus service to New York, Philadelphia, and Washington DC O ... Red Rose Transit Authority, Lancaster, Pennsylvania O ...
www.busstation.net › Americas › USA › Mid Atlantic - Cached - Similar- Block all www.busstation.net results

Patricia
Old 05-20-2011, 11:36 AM

WEnt to Washington DC a few weeks after 9/11 so a lot was closed to visitors. But I loved it even got to a large quilt shop, but after this time cannot remember where it was, all I remember is we got on the local train. I found it in the internet The Smithsonian is a must. Would love to go back, but don't do long haul any more
Old 05-20-2011, 12:33 PM

An organized tour bus might be a better choice - if you are leaving the city. I agree with those who said that Washington, DC has plenty to do for 2-3 weeks, and the city has wonderful clean, fast and reliable commuter trains. Go online to find where the rail lines are and be sure you get a motel convenient to any one of the routes. Here's the site: http://www.wmata.com/getting_around/

Historic Williamsburg, VA would be the best side trip, IMHO. Allow several days for that if you go.

I would not even consider taking a rental car into DC. It would be an ordeal, even for those of us who are used to city driving (Houston and Dallas). Parking is scarce and expensive. Parking at your hotel may even be very expensive these days. On a trip in 2003 I think we were charged $29 a day to park at a Baltimore hotel that we'd booked via Priceline. They should have informed us before we booked, because it certainly changes your idea about the daily cost of staying there.

Bon Voyage. I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old 05-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is that we found ourselves in several restaurants in rural Pennsylvania just outside Philadelphia a few years ago that did not take credit or debit cards. We felt we'd dropped in via time machine.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:51 PM

If you need help planning what to do, my DH and I went to DC for our honeymoon, and we go back often. We're in NJ, about 350 miles from DC.

And my DH is from England (Oldham). He says to tell you that you need to be prepared for "long drives. Everything is farther away here in the states than back in England."

Just PM me if you need/want more info!
Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 AM

http://quilterstravelcompanion.com This site was recommended to me...
Old 05-21-2011, 03:39 AM

The thing that I liked most about Washington DC was the fact that it was free to go into the sites. It made such a refreshing change in a Capitalist society. The Smithsonian, the FBI building, Lincoln and Jefferson memorials and the Capitol were all magnificent sites to see. The Air and Space Museum was fantastic and I really liked the National Geographic Museum as well. Hope you enjoy the trip as much as I. I spent 9weeks travelling about last time, but found it easier to fly everywhere and only take short bus trips from the base areas.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by MZStitch
Lancaster Pennsylvania is about 2 and 1/2 hours from Washington DC. There is an American Quilters Society show scheduled there for 2012: March 14 - 17. This is an ideal location because it will give you an opportunity to see Amish Country and enjoy many, many, many quilt shops to see Amish quilts and quality fabric at great prices. You would have to check with greyhound about the bus, but I'm sure there is a bus station there as it is a major location in the area. Oops, hope you meant Washington DC!
GREAT IDEA! Been there and enjoyed it tremendously. A must stop place - but plan to stay there for quite a while. Incidentally, the food is wonderful there. Edie
Old 05-21-2011, 05:35 AM

Jacki, Lancaster is the quilt capital ofv the world!!!! IMHO....I go every year from Canada...it is the closest show or area to DC so if you come, let me know....we'll meet up!!!
Ruth
Old 05-21-2011, 05:47 AM

Another quick note about Washington DC - they have a Metro that goes all around the city. (Think subway though some of it is above ground) It is a great way to get around DC with maps available so you can plan a little.

I agree with all about making Lancaster part of your trip! The drive is worth it for the sceanery alone and once you you arrive - well, just wear comfortable shoes, loose waisted clothes(room for eating), and enjoy. :-)