Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Quilt for beginer - what size to make? >

New Quilt for beginer - what size to make?

New Quilt for beginer - what size to make?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:30 AM

I started with a king size and now realize how dumb that was. I didn't do a bad job, but it was a big investment in time and money. After doing many more quilts I can see how that first quilt could have been so much better. And it was a gift so I wish it were better.

Start small with a baby or lap quilt. If it's reasonably good it will sell. Or you can snuggle under it while you work on the next one! When you are happy with your work you can move on to bigger. When I got to the craft fairs (we have a lot of them here) it appears that baby items sell well if they are priced right. People are more picky about buying quilts for their own beds.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned

How are you planning to sell your quilts? You should be realistic about how much you can sell them for at craft fairs, etc. because when you factor in the cost of materials and for your time and labor, plus the cost of renting booth space at craft fairs, for example, then selling your output, especially when you're first learning, may not be what you're hoping.

Oh, and--in my experience, even a twin-size quilt is pretty big to quilt on a home sewing machine (any mine is a Juki with a larger-than-usual throat space).
Old 05-21-2011, 10:11 AM

When you first learned to drive did you jump into a semi-truck? When we give birth, they are babies and not little adults (thank God!). When I learned to knit, I made many scarves before I went on to making sweaters. I agree with the others. Start small, and develop your skills. You'll know when you are ready to make something bigger.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Every one that is saying baby quilt, or throw to start with so that you don't get frustrated is right. I didn't, and I darn near gave up quilting before I got started.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
I don't have a walking foot and I've always gotten along just fine. So do you need one? No. Would it be helpful? Probably, maybe. But as others have said make sure you LIKE quilting before you spend a lot of money on it. :)
Me too, and thanks for saying it first here. It is how you handle the fabric. :wink:
Old 05-21-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Linda King
I am a beginner, my first quilt was a pinwheel, I totally agree with everyone, I was excited to do it on my own, but frustration set in, I was ready to quit, but thank God for the web cam, my younger sister is a quilter and she helped me through the web cam. That was 3 years ago, and I just finished it yesterday, it was a lap quilt, with plain color backing, everytime I tried to quilt the top, I had problems, so I did it another way to finish it and still had problems, as my batting stretched as I sewed it together. Now that it is finished, I found errors as I have done 2 quilts since then and they were the quilt as you go technique with the help of friends. Now I am going to do a scrap quilt. Its easily frustrating when you are learning, but I am sure you joined the right group, everyone here has some experience, and others here are very experienced. when you need help, we are all here to help you. A printed backing helps especially when your a beginner. Good Luck in your quiit makiing. Keep us informed, if you need help, just ask. Best of Luck!!!
Linda King
I never thought about a web-cam to give instruction. Great idea! :thumbup:
Old 05-21-2011, 01:14 PM

I agree that starting small is good. Some years ago when I was introduced to quilting, I started making a very large top(I just kept adding) and doing curves (I did not know what I was doing). To this date, I have not finished it, in fact, I do not know where it is. I met some older quilters who were surprised when I told them what I had done and they advised me to be realistic. I took their advice and I am very happy. My specialty is wallhangings. Good luck to you. Happy quilting.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM

I'd suggest a doll quilt or even a quilted postcard. You can play with techniques and get a feel before tackling a large project. Candle mats are a great way to start too and they sell very nicely.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:41 PM

For a beginner quilter a crib or lap size quilt is the best.
I would never suggest any bedsize quilt for a beginner.
Start small, learn proper tecniques, learn the importance of the 1/4 inch seam allowance, and proper pressing. Be sure to square your pieces as you go so your finished blocks will be square. If you start with too large of a project for your first quilt you maynot get a 'good' finished quilt, wasting a lot of fabric, also easy to get discouraged with a large project.
I believe a lot of beginners make the mistake of starting with too large of a quilt. :thumbup:
Old 05-21-2011, 02:53 PM

My first quilt was a log cabin quilt and was an elongated lap quilt -- 4 blocks by 3 blocks, each about 12"x12". The hubby has long legs and we often have trouble finding a nice throw blanket that is long enough for him. With my job, it took me about 2 weeks to finish the quilt by machine sewing the blocks and hand stitching the quilt back to the top. Like everyone else, I wouldn't recommend starting with a large project as it can quickly discourage you from a relaxing hobby.