Ouch!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 PM

Did you have the same problem I had, couldn't get the silly needle off to pull it out. Ouch, hope you finger is doing okay. tee hee
Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 PM

DH just doesn't know about us quilters. Hope it heals fast.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 PM

My stomach flopped! I don't think I could pull it out with pliers....I can't imagine.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 PM

Heres a good one for you. My son-in-law grabbed for a knife that was falling and cut his pinkie to the bone. Leave it to my daughter who use to be a vet tech but now a research scientist who works with ratS. She got out needle , suture and all the sterile things she needed and sewed it up. This is the kicker. T he suture was blue in color so while she is stitchinh him up, my 8 yr. old granddaughter says to her.Mom don't you know your suppose to use the same color thread that matches what your sewing. My granddaughter the seamstress ha!ha!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:16 AM

That happened to my mother years ago. Dr. had to cut her nail off to get the needle out. I wasn't interested in sewing for a very long time after that! Still have a nail thing over it. Please watch carefully and be sure you are up to date on tetanus shot.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by JACRN
Heres a good one for you. My son-in-law grabbed for a knife that was falling and cut his pinkie to the bone. Leave it to my daughter who use to be a vet tech but now a research scientist who works with ratS. She got out needle , suture and all the sterile things she needed and sewed it up. This is the kicker. T he suture was blue in color so while she is stitchinh him up, my 8 yr. old granddaughter says to her.Mom don't you know your suppose to use the same color thread that matches what your sewing. My granddaughter the seamstress ha!ha!
Yes, vet techs are great to have around!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mimmis57
So has this happened to anyone else? I'm sewing along happily and got my big ole' finger too close to the needle and bam right thru my fingernail and out the top of my finger! What to do- ER or stay home? I knew if i went to the ER' I'd sit for hours and they would just use a hemastat and pull it out. I had a project to finish so got my pliers and pulled that bad boy out. My husband said "So you had to stop sewing?" ( Obviously he's new here!) " No. I just changed the needle and kept going!" Just thought I'd share.
Like a little prick is gonna stop us. Us quilter gals are tough. We can handle it. Guys would be rolling on the floor whinnning. :thumbup:
Old 05-21-2011, 03:22 PM

I have to share a story - I have a large family, and one Sat. morning while I was helping my Mom with the weekly grocery shop, we heard her being paged over the store intercom. My Mom went to the courtesy booth and was handed the store phone which had my Dad on the other end, (no cell phones back then) My Dad was in a panic because two of my brothers (twins -3 yrs old) were playing "so quietlly" until my Dad heard an ungodly scream. The twins were quietly playing with my Moms sewing machine and were having a blast until Thomas turned that big wheel, making the needle go right down through Peter's finger! Peter, naturally began screaming which made Thomas scared and STOP turning that wheel, which of course, made his brother stuck in the machine, needle through his finger! My Dad was so freaked out that all he could do was call my mother. We tease my dad mercilessly, since he's the engineer and oh,so smart! My brothers still love to hear that story!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:38 PM

I have done that before, did the same thing, just pulled the needle out, stuck a bandade on finger, didnt want to drip any blood on my project. stuck a new needle in and continuted to sew.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:25 PM

Oh jimminy crikets are you ever tough. Can't wait to see that quilt you were so determined to finish. Take care of yourself. Maybe you should see a doc to prevent infection. Are you current with your tetnis shot? Lock jaw can kill.