Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:30 AM

I have a 128...still very new to me....given to me for Mother's Day....we are bonding....I've called here Nellie....
Old 05-22-2011, 04:34 AM

I got my FW several years ago at a flea market for $25. She was made in 1938 and after having her cleaned she shines like new. She stiches nicely but tires out quickly too.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:35 AM

My first was found on Craig's list and she came from WA. I did everything over the phone with the sellers husband that didn't know anything about sewing machines. It was a unique experience asking my questions and trying to get him to understand them! Waiting for my first to arrive was like waiting for a baby to be born. I had waited for so long for a Featherweight and finally. It was trucked to me from WA to Portland so I had to wait overnight for it to arrive and boy was that the longest night of my life!! When I went to pick her up the gentleman was looking all over for this big sewing machine. When he finally came back with this smaller box, saw the excitement on my face, he helped me open it right then and there in the parking lot! Oh was I on another cloud for the rest of the day! This one has the straited plate.

My second was adopted from Craigs list. A very nice young lady was selling her grandmothers and my heart hurt for her. She didn't use her and said she needed the money! But she did say she wanted it to go to a good home and she new I would take care of her. She has a scroll plate.

Then my lil' white came along from Craigs list again! My third one-this one didn't run as quiet as the other ones. It had a clicking noise when it was sewing and the light had been repainted-bad paint job! I debated with this one-but only for a minute. Should I or shouldn't I? Besides Ebay I hadn't seen many whites for sale in my area. I truly felt it was something minor so home we both went! When I got home my husband listened to it and immediately found what was wrong. One of the parts was rubbing on the metal plate so little tweaking to the metal plate and she was as quiet as the other ones! I soon found a new white light and he changed it out for me. Another beautiful addition to the family.

I found my fourth one at an estate sale - once again advertised on Craig list. I arrived a little after opening and I thought for sure it would be gone. Went right up to the cashier and ask if the Featherweight had been sold? But it was still there. She pointed to her and immediately I knew it was mine. It was so packed with lint I felt so bad. I did turn it on and try to sew with it but once again my heart hurt- I felt like it had been abused! Crazy I know! Keeping the lint out was not a priority for the previous owner. Once again my fourth precious one and I were on our way home. She has a scroll plate.

Then onto my Centenial-just waiting for me once again. I had seen the listing on Craig's list and just couldn't bring myself to pay the price they were asking. But time went on and the listing wasn't going away! So one day heading over to Fabric Depot I called the number in the ad and it was still there. So I went over and took a look. We had to plug it in on the drive way and do everything outside-which I thought was odd! As soon as we plugged it in it started to run on it's own. Scarry-but I new it was a wiring problem and it was an easy fix. It had a few issues, the light bulb was broken in the socket and she didn't have a case. Low and behold I wasn't really interested at this point. So I explained to the seller my feelings and how I didn't want to offend her but I was only willing to pay $70.00 for it. She jumped at it and said I just want someone to use it and appreciate it and take care of it! That would be me! So off I went fabric shopping - once again on another cloud!

After I found my first one I had no intentions of purchasing more! It just happened! I couldn't spend much and just kept watching the paper and everywhere I would go. They were all purchased in the my low price range and they are all beautiful and in excellent shape.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 AM

Just rec'd mine a couple of days ago from the Ebay seller so I am still checking everything out on it. It is a 1961 221K Red S. Also I purchased David McCallum's video and book and it has been a wealth of knowledge. I don't have a name picked out but then again I've never named my other machines either. Should I? :hunf: :lol:
Old 05-22-2011, 04:42 AM

I have the scroll plate 221 1945 and a straight plate 222k 1957. Love them both! I have also have my grandmothers 301 long bed....what a dream team! I can sew anything that comes my way!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by psychonurse
Someone has advertised on in our local paper for $375. I didn't call becuase I just can't see spending that right now. How would I know if its a 221 or 222 by looking?
I really want one but the check book said no. LOL
the 222 has a removable bed, the 221 does not.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by ladyslipper
I got Bella recently on Ebay. I will need to replace the wiring in the foot peddle but other than that she runs beautifully. I told my husband that the sound of her is like the Harley Davidson purr is to a biker. I would love to get a little sister for her.
I thought Harleys rumble rather than purr.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:52 AM

Yes, meet Baby (see avatar)! She was born in 1947 and was an ebay purchase for $275. Sews perfectly! I was looking for one born the year I was (1951) but couldn't find one at that time in my price range. I guess Hoppyfrog and I are both nearing that 60 mark. I hear it is a great year... lol
I am now trying to add attachments and learn how to use them! Love my Baby!!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:59 AM

Just bought my new FW last week - she was advertised on Kijiji (similar to Craig's List), and was being sold by a local sewing machine repairman. She was all tuned up and ready to go, and I fell in love with her. She was "born" in 1953, a few years younger than me :lol: but in a lot better shape :oops: ! I'm calling her Tryphena, after my late mom's middle name. Mom was an avid sewer in her day. Price on her was $295. - but he took an old heavy vintage machine that I bought at a thrift shop as a trade-in - he gave me what I paid for it, which was $50. So $245. later - she was mine!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-200398.jpe
Views:	725
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	200404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-200399.jpe
Views:	699
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	200405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-200400.jpe
Views:	761
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	200406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-200401.jpe
Views:	704
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	200407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-200403.jpe
Views:	756
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	200409  

Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 AM

My little one was "born" August 15, 1940. All her parts are with her and she is in excellent condition. How many of us can say the same. I don't use her much and feel guilty about leaving her in her case by herself. I prefer to use my Pfaff 7570 and Pfaff CV. One of these days soon, I will take her out, clean her up again, talk to her and use her. Am always looking to buy her a companion. Am amazed at all of these little creatures that are still around and still in use.