Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 AM

I got my featherweight last year for Christmas. She was born in 1938 so she has the scrollwork. Her name is Sadie and she goes with me to guild meetings and classes. She is named for a very sweet lady whom I met when I was in college and teaching VBS in summer. I stayed with her during the week we were at her church. She was in her 80's then, but we thought she was just the best. And so is my little Sadie. She has a beautiful stitch and all original parts and case.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:32 AM

I have a Featherweight which is in great condition, also the case, attachments, and instruction book. My dear niece gave it to me, refused to let me pay her for it. I haven't sewn on it yet but she says it sews beautifully. Texas Mom
Old 05-22-2011, 05:38 AM

I am so envious of your featherweight findings! In Australia Featherweights are listed on Ebay for $A550 up (about $600 US) and last week one sold for $780. (Mind you, I had never heard of featherweights until I joined this Board and now have cravings.
cheers
Sandra
Old 05-22-2011, 05:42 AM

I have a 221-1 from 1938(?). Sometimes I have issues with the bobbin tension, but that's probably just me...you know, operator error. Did I see someone say not to use pre-wound bobbins in the featherweights?
Debbie Stair
Old 05-22-2011, 05:43 AM

I love my Featherweight, she came to my via a relative. I was shocked to see her sitting all along in the basement, dirty, lonely, and abused.

Took her and got her reburbished, and she sews like a dream. I love to piece on her. She so Simple, and always on the job at a moments notice.

Actually, Simplicity is the ultimate Sophication, and her name is "Beauty"
Old 05-22-2011, 05:44 AM

A couple of years ago a friend of mine called me and said come out to his house as he had something he thought I might want. When I got there and saw the box I knew then what it was. Jerry called himself a cosmetic surgeon, what he did was remodel houses and often he was asked to clean out the house before he went to work.
My featherweight turned out to be a 221 born August 15, 1940, Just four days before my birthday. I had to clean 40 years of grease and gunk out of it, oiled it and now it runs great.
Sad ending to my story, but Jerry passed away almost 3 weeks ago. I am calling my featherweight Jerry in honor of the person who gave this great gift to me.

Yes, I have two. They were sitting out in my fil's storage barn until he found them and gave them to me last year!

I have one got then had to send to shop to have fixed it was there about three weeks waiting for parts just had back since mothers day had wanted one for a long time was happy to find it even if it did have to have parts and when i payed to get it fixed it only cost about 258 dollars I am happy with it but have been piecing on it has anyone done the actul quilting on it it seems sort of small for that also has anyone done the quilt as you go am thinking of doing that if anyone has a site i can check out post thanks
Old 05-22-2011, 05:46 AM

Yes, I will have one on Monday morning. I bid on it on
"shopgoodwill". I will tell you more about it when I get it. I also have a tan 301A with a long bed, a child size Singer and a Singer Sparten ( Love this one) a Singer Serger, Viking Rose and a Viking Scandinavian . Do I love sewing or what? Gloria
Old 05-22-2011, 05:56 AM

My girlie is a 1956, the same year as me! I bought her from a guy on Craigslist as a package deal...a 15 and the 221 for $125. I was so excited that I stopped in a shopping center parking lot near his house and looked at everything that came with her. I didn't want the 15, so I sold it for $60. The featherweight travels with me whenever I need to sew away from home. (At home I use the 201...a little more power!)