Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by lyndajean
Originally Posted by BoJangles
This belonged to my great aunt and it was given to me when she passed away over 20yrs ago. Back then I had no interest in sewing. I just took her out, and thanks to some help from Billy she is up and running! Thanks again Billy, here she is!
Wow! Is that a 401? I can't quite read the model number -- congratulations, great machine!

Nancy
Yes it is a 401A. Thanks, I could kick myself for not learning to sew years ago! Both my great aunt and my grandmother were excellent seamstresses! (my grandmother is 94!)
Better late than never! Sewww glad you started when you did. What year is your 401a? I know my Mom used to own one that color, just not sure which year it was. :-D
Old 05-22-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by BoJangles
This belonged to my great aunt and it was given to me when she passed away over 20yrs ago. Back then I had no interest in sewing. I just took her out, and thanks to some help from Billy she is up and running! Thanks again Billy, here she is!
Wow! Is that a 401? I can't quite read the model number -- congratulations, great machine!

Nancy
The copyright on the manual is 1957....I dont see a year on the machine itself
Yes it is a 401A. Thanks, I could kick myself for not learning to sew years ago! Both my great aunt and my grandmother were excellent seamstresses! (my grandmother is 94!)
Better late than never! Sewww glad you started when you did. What year is your 401a? I know my Mom used to own one that color, just not sure which year it was. :-D
The copyright on the manual is 1957....I dont see a year on the machine itself
Old 05-22-2011, 05:44 PM

Does anyone have a Paragon Standard Treadle Sewing Machine. Going to look at one tomorrow evening. Price is right if it is not junk. She thinks it is around 1914.
Tommie
Old 05-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

I dont but if the decals are not worn completely off and it still moves I say get it!

Billy
Old 05-22-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I machine sew all my bindings on since I dislike hand sewing. Funny thing is that I baste all my quilts using the Sharon Schamber method; don't mind that type of hand sewing since it is quick and gets removed.

Well, I now have the Davis NVF machine (walking foot machine) for attaching bindings and the machine is awesome for this. But before I acquired the Davis, I would just attach the bindings on with my Singer 201 or 15-90. I would use my walking foot and I did have some difficulty keeping things even, but then I discovered Sharon Schamber's glue method of attaching the binding down. That worked even better, but the best method for attaching that I have found is my Davis NVF.

Since I don't like the look of the straight-stitch line on the finished binding, I decided to use the decorative stitches to finish off and soften the look. At first I was using just one decorative stitch from my daughters Janome TB30 as a signature stitch, but I got bored with just the one stitch. I started using the other decorative stitches.

Then I saw that zig-zag machines can be treadled and my hunt was one for a machine with decorative stitching capability to use in treadle. So, I now use my Singer 328K for the decorative stitches. I do some test runs on small mock-ups to see how the stitch looks, but once that is done all goes quickly.

I think the decorative stitches would look so cute on the potholders. You gave me an idea for presents this Christmas, quilted potholders made from the fabric scraps. Thanks!
Thank you Monica for the information. I am going to check into Sharon Schamber's glue method. This might be exactly what I need. I've tried using a binder foot and haven't been satisfied with the results - most likely due to operator error or the circular hot pads are to thick. My mom just finished another batch of hot pad holders so I'm excited.

Judy
Old 05-22-2011, 06:51 PM

I don't know, call me crazy, but everytime I look at her, she reminds me of the classic "little black dress" - so that is what I call her.

Judy[/quote]

What a clean looking machine. Kathie
Old 05-22-2011, 06:56 PM

I took the machine to Girls' Night Out last night to clean and use the machine. Nancy

Nancy I enjoyed seeing your new Kenmore last night. I was very impressed with your patience while working on the FW.
Maybe one night you can show us all how to clean and oil our machines as you are the best. Kathie
Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 PM

So I am wondering how many of you have machines with the copper badges on them and if yours has one what model and year is it?

Billy[/quote]

Billy, My Mr. Carlos has a copper badge and is a Model 66. He was born Oct. 18,1909, in Elizabeth New Jersey. Kathie
Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by debbiewi
I just took a picture of my cleaned up machine. when I got it, I thought most of the decals were gone, it was so black so I am thrilled with the way she looks now. In the picture the badge is showing up more gold but in person it is a shiny copper color
That is one beautiful machine. If you ever get tired of it I will send you my address so it can be mine. lol. Kathie
Old 05-22-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Randa, you are right, your problem is different than mine. Why not post a photo of your problem and maybe someone can help you. Sometimes it might take a day or two. :-D
randa, does it look like the finger is out of the notch? if it is, you must get it back in, otherwise the thing will spin and it shouldnt. i wonder if the throat plate is stuck somehow. it should come off, maybe it needs persuaded. LOL i hope u get it going. DH took mine apart to clean and now i cant get it to pick up the bobbin thread. need to find time to check her out good.
Yes the finger was out of the notch. I took off one of the little square things to move the finger back in place and it works just fine now! Miriam was such a big help. I knew I'd have to remove something...there was no way it could go back in. Now I'd like to know how on earth it came out.