Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:51 PM

I have a 1937 model that I bought on eBay recently. Just got her cleaned up; she is sewing well after a bit of tension adjustment. I'm still waiting for a hot sunny day to help get the musty smell out of the case.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:10 PM

I have one too and I love to use it for paper piecing. It sews a
really nice small stitch and it is easy to sew small pieces with it.
And....I think it looks so cute in my sewing room. I just love it.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 PM

Yes I have two featherweights. One I bought at the in the household section of our local livestock auction and paid $40 for it. The second I bought at a sleazy junk store out in the boonies. I did pay $250 for it but it was in excellent shape.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 PM

I was given my 221-2 as a graduation present from college. It was born in 1951 - Centennial model- and was a gift from my aunt. She was a school teacher and used it to sew clothes, leather patches, classroom books and other really big/stiff items. She was upgrading to a Bernina and knew I liked to sew.

Long story short - I made my first quilt (King size) pillowcase style with ties using her, and countless dresses, pants, and quilts since then. Not so surprisingly, my aunt wishes she had kept the machine (she is on #6 since she gave it to me - 40 years later).

Why do I love her? She WORKS - just a simple forward and back. Has all parts (except the main wire), the original manual, attachments, needles, lubricant, bobbins and feet. Only thing I had to add was a buttonholer and FMQ foot. I tried a walking foot on her, but it sews better without it as long as the sandwich is less than 1" thick. Turns out any low shank foot works well on her, so I've been experimenting. She is my main machine - I have a 401 that sort of works off and on, but the Featherweight is my main Squeeze!

Thanks, Craftybear, for setting this club up! I'm happy to become a member.

P.S. If you need a good mechanic/ Featherweight sales person, I know of two in the SF Bay area. Too bad you are back in SC, or you could stop in and check them out.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM

I have a 1946 FW won in a shop hop last august. I am still trying to find a place to set her up permanently. Have only had a chance to use her a couple of times. Does take a little getting used to after being spoiled by all the automatic things on the newer models of sewing machine. Mine is in very good condition and was completed cleaned by the quilt shop owner. I also found an original oil can for her!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM

Have a centenial model and another black one on the way. Bought both on E-bay. Grand-daughter, who is 10, sews on the centenial. Cute and lovable little machines.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 PM

Have one my mother bought in Chatham Ontario Canada -I think centennial model.Taught to sew on it when I was 8 that yr. Made a yellow circular skirt like a poodle skirt and mom even made me put in zipper.
The only thing I wanted from her estate in 2006. She had guarded it. Had to buy oil can but rest was in the case. I bought book and also a card table which is not in best condition but I am so happy to have it. Should use it more.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
Originally Posted by ThayerRags
My wife and I have “his & hers” Featherweights. Hers is a 1952 model (his birth year), and his is a 1957 model (her birth year). Hers is named “Feather” (not all that original, but we know which one we’re talking about), and his is named “Hurkie” (as in Hurricane - came from Mississippi, and had been submerged in water for a while).

CD in Oklahoma
I LOVE "Hurkie" I have never seen a hand crank feather weight! That's an awesome little machine... He will shine and whistle when he gets a spiffied up.

Would love to se a hand crank featherweight. Post pic. please.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:52 PM

I have two black FW's sitting in my house. My DH bought the first around 1975 or so, from a lady that worked with him and she had it in a garage sale, it was her mother's, he paid $10.00 for it. I have only used it a few times. It works good and has all kinds of attachments, but he really claims it. I bought my new Bernina just after that, so I really didn't get into the FW that much. I can't remember what year it is, a late 30's if I remember correctly. Then I bought my "own" from ebay 2 yrs ago,because every time I used the one he bought he always ask why I was using his machine. Mine is dated 1937. Have really enjoyed using it.
I plan to start this week on a graduation quilt, and I'm planning to make it entirely on the FW. I've never made a complete quilt on it yet.
I don't name my machines, just really enjoy them. I have my Bernina, a Singer Golden N Touch, 1968,my Bernina Serger and my mother's old Singer Dress Maker model, that she bought in 1941- was a tredle that she converted, sure wish I had it's cabinet.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by laurelkal
I think I have one! I got a white one that needs some tlc and gave it to someone to look at it. That was about 2 1/2 months ago and haven't gotten it back yet. Hopefully soon!
I would go get it quick!!!, before they sell it or decide they want to keep it.