Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thumb Versus the Sewing Machine >

Thumb Versus the Sewing Machine

Thumb Versus the Sewing Machine

Old 05-23-2011, 12:51 AM

ouch. Iwas sewing along and the needle went right through my nail. I was lucky. :oops:
Old 05-23-2011, 01:17 AM

Yep! Been there, done that!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:29 AM

welcome to the club...i did it to my index finger....
Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 AM

Someone else just posted a thread about this the other day and yes I did this once in over 35 years of sewing. I did it last labor day and OUCH . . . IT HURT!!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mya Siam
Am I the only careless person out there? I was sewing on an old Singer 31-15 the other day and I heard a slight bang. When I looked down there was the sewing machine needle inside my thumb and the presser foot was sitting on top of it. Yes, I managed to pull the needle out, but needless to say, I will not be turning on that machine for a few days. Just wondering if any one else has impaled themselves while sewing?
Yes, I have and the worst one happened when I was working in the costume shop at the local university theater dept. We were doing "Chorus Line" and I was working on the finale number costumes. White Satin and I ran the needle into my thumb.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 AM

I've never impaled myself but last week I had to make a trip to the vet with Ivan, my younger cat. He's my avatar and you can see where he likes to lay when I'm sewing. He curled his tail and he got a stitch in the last half inch of his tail. Fortunately, I was doing a needle up needle down and wasn't running full speed. The vet shaved an inch of his fur, cleaned it and decided it didn't need stitches :lol: and gave me a week's worth of antibiotic pills just in case. The one stitch cost me $52! Hope he's learned a lesson but I sincerely doubt it.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:00 AM

I did that the first time when I was 12 years old. It took 40 years for me to do it again. I seem to do it when I am trying to hurry and get finished-I just run my finger right up in there! The first time when my Mom pulled the needle out, everytime my heart would beat, blood would spurt out-not a pleasant situation to be in for sure! Luckily, both times, I had just had a tentanus booster.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Several years ago I actually had the point of the needle sticking out of the bottom of my finger. Had to have a tetanus shot and had to explain to the doctor the shape of the needle so he wouldn't pull it straight out.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:13 AM

Oh yes, I sewed through my index finger 40 years ago. It went right through the nail and out he other side. I was young then, about 18 or 19 and a big baby. The first thing I did was remove the needle from the machine. It was still threaded. I clipped the thread, and tried to pull the needle out myself. Hurt too much. Found my husband and asked him to drive me to the hospital. He complained because we had no insurance, so he pulled the needle out with a pair of nedle nosed pliers. I put the needle back in the machine and when I sold that machine a year later, the same needle was still in it. My finger hardly got sore at all.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Boy howdy! It seems to be an epidemic. Thankfully I haven't done it but I have had the screw that holds the needles in place act like a hammer and bang the heck out of my thumb.
I've done that too! :| When WILL we learn to use our stillettos?

Sue