Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Age" Related Slump >

"Age" Related Slump

"Age" Related Slump

Old 05-23-2011, 04:25 AM

I know what you mean, my husband died 5 months ago and it seemed I then started thinking wow I am getting old. Kind of a little depression has set in. Before that I guess I never thought of myself like that. I am 79 so I guess that was kind of silly on my part. Thanks for letting me vent - I need it
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 AM

Yes, I'm still quilting and going on 75. You need to hear what the nursing homes, Woman's Hope and Hospice have to say about the quilts that our guild donates. I'll quilt till I can't. We have a new member who crochets. She is wheelchair bound and blind in one eye. In a two week period she can make 50 pairs of baby booties. Hooray for her. I have started walking around the block and joined
Curves. It is probably doing more for me mentally than physically. Chin up and keep at whatever makes you happy.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:33 AM
mim

I'm with you Youper !! I'll be 105 tho -- after all I just got married at 78. And now am summering in our cottage love nest. I did have to eliminate 1/3 of my stash when I moved -- not enough space and lots of "why on earth did I buy that??" fabrics.

So half of whats left in in ME and the rest in WA. Of course, what I need is in the wrong place so I have to get more. LOL

Mim

Originally Posted by Yooper32
I'm 79 and I tell myself and anyone else who may be listening that I now have to live to at least 102 to get all of my bucket list cut, sewn and quilted. My enthusiasm far outweighs my sewing pace. , well someone is going to inherit a wonderful pastime for themselves. We aren't even going to talk about my stash. LOL
Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 AM

I'm 74; my Mom lived to age 92. She worked on her quilts 'til the very day she died. Figure I will do the same, whether it be 92 or 75. Please keep on keeping on. You probably have many,many years to go yet.(((HUGS))
Old 05-23-2011, 04:40 AM

I can relate, somewhat. I'm 65 and have some health "issues." But my love of quilting transcends all this. I love fabric, just because it's fabric and so I keep buying. I guess by this time I'm just a fabric "collector." I hope to die at my sewing machine making a quilt. I'm having some issues with my hands and arthritis which is making it more difficult to sew and slowing me down. But if you don't enjoy it then, stop. But if you still love it then keep it up.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by grandma pepsi
I'm 71, and it's true we sometimes go into a slump. But, that's no different than anybody else. However, we do have the wisdom to talk to ourselves (and at our age this is sometimes very funny and perfectly legal). I look at it as 'there is no time to fret about what might happen, only time for enjoyment NOW. Through our lives we have sacrificed in order to do for others. Hopefully, this brought us a sense of satisfaction. So why not continue, and still feel worthy within ourselves.
I'm 73 and feel the same way. This is me time to do anything I want and not feel guilty in the least.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:44 AM

I have been depressed since I lost my son last year in September. He was 41. I will be 65 in August and will live until the Lord calls me home. Make your quilts and live your life. Quilting is my theraphy.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:50 AM

Hi! I'm 83 and am working on a king size scrappy quilt for my son. Each day I wake up with a prayer of thanks that I am looking at a new beginning. Take time out to smell the roses
Old 05-23-2011, 04:52 AM

Make lap size quilts and donate them to children's hospitals or convalescent hospitals ... they ALWAYS need them. This size is quick to make, uses from your stash, you can try lots of different patterns you've been wanting to do and then bless somebody with them! It's a WIN-WIN!! My Mom is 89 and crochets just about everyday. She says those "elderly" people in the nursing home need her little afghans to keep their legs warm!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:53 AM

I am 72 also and can see where you are coming from, but if you do not continue doing things you enjoy, what kind of life will you be living? Like so many others said there is no expiration date stamped on us, but we do know it is coming, just do not know when. So live it up, keep your mind and body active. Take care.
Linda
P S I have to give myself this pep talk every now and then too.