Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness >

Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness

Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness

Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 AM

I find Etsy very confusing and give up when it takes so much time to find anything. I have visited the site a few times but then I took it off my favorites list.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 AM

No, but I had an account there and they didn't follow through on their policy, but they surely did want their subscription money every month.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
No, but I had an account there and they didn't follow through on their policy, but they surely did want their subscription money every month.
what subscription money???

I have been on Etsy for years and have never paid a subscription fee?
I only pay when I sell something or list something..that is all....
Old 05-23-2011, 05:15 AM

I have always had a good experience with Etsy. I buy from one particular handmade soap gal, she gift wraps and sends out quickly. And when the recipients receive their gift they are in awe. I have bought plants, fabric, zippers & pulls. I don't sell there but I buy there frequently. Never had a bad experience.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:23 AM

I just bought some cardinal blocks on Etsy - I looked all over for the perfect cardinal fabric; but only could find small bird sized cardinals on fabric; I wanted some bigger, so found the blocks already to go into the quilt I want to make and immediate service from the lady who had them. I had them in two days! So, a positive yes here!!! and at a reasonable cost!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 AM

Etsy is lovely for little hand-crafted gems, I bought a gorgeous heart-shaped vase to hang on my wall. It is a little over-priced but for me, that's what comes from supporting other crafters who are paying higher fees and putting more care into their items than the mass-produced items on eBay and in stores, who are able to buy cheaper supplies and thus sell cheaper products.

If I'm looking for fabric I generally try and find the cheapest product. Sometimes it is etsy especially if I am buying from U.S because shipping always seems lower on etsy than ebay. Mostly however, supplies are cheaper from eBay and other large fabric stores.

Still, I would definitely encourage buying and selling on etsy as a way to support other crafters and maybe something you make will be the perfect item for somebody else. Also love the little personal touches like thank you notes (in fluent english) and better communication compared to ebay. I also think etsy is far better if you are looking for gifts because they are much more unique, have a better story and since it's mostly handmade, all you have to do is ask for a little customisation or gift wrapping.

Definitely try out etsy, I have had nothing but completely positive experiences that have more than made up for any overpricing and love knowing that I'm supporting somebody just like me and everybody else on this board who put a lot of love and care into our items.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 AM

It is less costly to post quilts on Esty than it is on ebay. I sell one or two items a year is all and I sell inexpensively. Not a great record but better than nothing. If you want you item highlighted it is costly.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I know people are getting away from selling on EBay because of the newest fees and such that the sellers have to pay. Their profit margins are going down to the point they can't make it. They are moving to Etsy.
There is a rather nifty fee calculator that can be used to compute your Etsy profits at differing price points. http://www.rolbe.com/etsy.htm
that helps a lot.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:15 AM

This has absolutely NO relation to the subject under discussion - but I just wondered what a leafy seadragon is?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 AM

I have a small etsy shop and have sold a few things, I have also bought a few things. I agree the prices are higher but the items are hand-crafted and I think that is worth the extra cost. I just got my husband a handmade wooden wall clock that is made with several types of wood so it looks like a puzzle, I cannot wait to give it to him next month.
Ebay has its place too but I think of it more like a garage sale, good deal can be found but after you search a lot of junk. I have also had a few bad experiences with Ebay both as sell and a buyer so I might be a bit jaded.