Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Age" Related Slump >

"Age" Related Slump

"Age" Related Slump

Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 AM

Another thought to get you going, Make Pillowcases! ConKerr Cancer has people making cheerful pillowcases for kids in hospitals. Groups or individuals can make one or as many as they can. Good way to use your stash and not be commited to making a quilt that would take a long time. I find the best way for me to stop thinking about me, my ailments, my problems, etc. is to do something for someone else. Take a look at their site conkerrcancer.org
Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 AM

I'm 65 so a young chick yet, but my mother is 89 and we just built a new craft room for me to sew and her to paint. She too, has 'slump' days and periods but she's found that taking a class gets her refreshed and jump starts her getting back into the swing of things. She's off right now with a neighbor (my age) who suggested they take a 6 week oil painting class in a town about 25 miles away (we live in the country) and Sandy picks her up each week to attend. Mom hasn't done oils in a lot of years so had to buy new supplies....had a ball shopping for them and didn't give a thought to spending the money in trade for the fun they would have. She's up early, paints for 6 hours and forgets the naps that she would have taken if she were home! We all hit slumps - just enjoy each day and find something that you can look 'forward' to....plan to take a class, go on a retreat - anything that puts a smile on your face!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
I have been reading the posts from quilters going through a slump. I am 72 years old and and experiencing insecure thoughts such as "why buy any more fabric", and "why start on a new project". I am losing my enthusiam because my age does not warrant a lot of time for the projects I have always wanted to do. Would the upper-age group quilters share their thoughts on this problem I am having.
Hi MarcyJ. I sometimes find myself thinking the same thoughts. I just turned 71 and I'm still buying fabric but not in the quantitiy of previous purchases tho I still can't pass on a "good buy". When I see a fabric I like I say to myself "are there any pieces at home that will go with it". Sometimes I'll just purchase a small amount to satisfy my desire for it. I'm even thinking of selling some yardage that I know I'll never use..why did I get it in the first place...It was too good a deal to pass on. When I now look at fabric that is still in the package I brought it home in...I see in my mind the quilt I wanted to make but never got around to do. I do keep busy tho with projects that I start then put down go on to something else and then go back to. I believe I have adult ADHD? I find that I need to keep on challenging myself to see if I can do this or that pattern. I also sometimes teach basic quilt classes. I love to do that. Keeping busy with my hands even in the evenings watching (listening really) to TV I have to be doing something with my hands... if not I'm twiddling my thumbs ! Do what your heart desires if you can afford it. Do small projects that you can complete and move on to something else. Don't isolate yourself. I'm even collecting vintage sewing machines. Do I need them? no...Do I want them?...Yes! I am also involved with the FWS Quilt_along here on the board. The quilt is made up with 111 blocks! and we've finished 86 of them. I never thought I would be able to see this thru but I'm plugging along with a bunch of very nice ladies. Think about "Grandma Moses" accomplishing many things at the age of 96? We can do that too! Get involved ! Think young! PM me when you feel blue. Anne
Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 AM

I, too, am 78 and just getting started. I know there won't be time to do all the things that I want to do, but I don't ever think that I don't have enough talents to keep me busy until the end. There's no better legacy to leave behind than something made with your own hands and filled with love.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:35 AM

I have been reading the posts from quilters going through a slump. I am 72 years old and and experiencing insecure thoughts such as "why buy any more fabric", and "why start on a new project". I am losing my enthusiam because my age does not warrant a lot of time for the projects I have always wanted to do. Would the upper-age group quilters share their thoughts on this problem I am having.
Hi Marcy,

I am 67 and it seems that all the really old (not us, of course,) people have kept busy their entire life. I didn't start college 'til I was 32. The oldest freshman in my class was 76, in a walker, and she wanted to be a teacher. I think of her whenever I feel "old".

Diane
Old 05-23-2011, 06:35 AM

Hi Marcy,

I am 67 and it seems that all the really old (not us, of course,) people have kept busy their entire life. I didn't start college 'til I was 32. The oldest freshman in my class was 76, in a walker, and she wanted to be a teacher. I think of her whenever I feel "old".

Diane
Old 05-23-2011, 06:36 AM

It is easy to let your thinking run in that vein.....I'm 75 and aware of it !!!! but....I try to set aside the "down" side and realize that a month, a week, a day is still time to get things done....I see people much older than I am and they are going strong, so I take heart, and get to my quilting knowing someone is going to be so grateful that I did!!!!wishing you joy in your todays and tomorrows!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:36 AM

What are you going to do, sit there and wait to die? Or are you going to go out doing something you love?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:38 AM

I'm now pushing 60; that's hard to say. It's the first mile stone that might bother me. When I think of getting older I try to remember that getting older beats the alternative; dieing. So for as long as God lets me I'll sew, shop and everything else since I'm getting older and not dead. Enjoy life. Some times I go to a restuarant to eat or shop when I'm down. I perfer to go with someone but more often than not I go alone and that's ok as long as I go.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:42 AM

I will be 85 in Dec. and havent been quilting very long.
I have quite a stash and wonder who will inherit it. None of my girls sew or quilt, I think I had better get going and use it all up. I do enjoy making baby quilts and they are all for charity. So Marcy just hang in there and keep on quilting.