Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness >

Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness

Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness

Old 05-23-2011, 12:35 PM

There was a pattern I wanted to buy that was only available on Esty. So I created a log-in and placed my order and used Pay-Pal. Very easy. Similar to E-bay, just all have a set price.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by mariebaker
Actually, I think it is time for another online venue for craft-Etsy is getting really crowded!
How many do you need? :D Besides Etsy, there is ArtFire, Big Cartel, Artful Home (this is where the big guns play - Wen Redmond, Cathy Kleeman and the like), 1000 Markets and probably several more.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM

Artful Home is really going to be out of most of our price ranges, based on comments of prices too high on Etsy.

Tho I love some of the stuff I see there, it is too rich for my purse.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
Artful Home is really going to be out of most of our price ranges, based on comments of prices too high on Etsy.

Tho I love some of the stuff I see there, it is too rich for my purse.
:lol: Yeah, I tried to warn you!! ;)
Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 PM

I purchased 2 Moda wrapped in Paisley layer cakes for 26.99 each from thesewingshack. Very smooth transaction.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:25 PM

I have been selling on Etsy for several years and I have been happy there. I sell FABRIC and PATTERNS and BUTTONS - they sell OK. I think my prices are fair compared to others I have seen. I would sell my fabric here, but since I have a shop ...not allowed any more. If I buy reasonably - I pass the savings on.
The fabric was originally just a way to "destash" what I don't use, so I list it for a fraction of the selling price. Most of mine is out of production. I get a lot of traffic from here....thanks for looking! If you want say hi when you buy.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 PM

I have used Etsy and have been pleased. I only purchased fabrics. I did have some issues with fabric not arriving as pictured due to lighting and monitor settings. (fabric looked white with turquoise in photo, was cream and aqua in person).

Also, Etsy has you check out separately with each 'store'. So you only realize shipping savings if you buy multiples from the same one.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 PM

I have bought a lot on etsy. I don't like to deal with auctions. I don't know what their fees are for sellers, but there aren't any for buyers. With both etsy and ebay, there are shipping costs, and paypal takes a cut from sellers no matter where you use it. The only bad experience I've had on etsy was one seller who took the money and didn't send the merchandise. Etsy closed her store and paypal wasn't able to get my money back. Luckily, it was only $6. I visit etsy every day and not just for quilting related items. I have heard that bigcartel is another option for selling and has lower fees.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Treasureit
I have been selling on Etsy for several years and I have been happy there. I sell FABRIC and PATTERNS and BUTTONS - they sell OK. I think my prices are fair compared to others I have seen. I would sell my fabric here, but since I have a shop ...not allowed any more. If I buy reasonably - I pass the savings on.
The fabric was originally just a way to "destash" what I don't use, so I list it for a fraction of the selling price. Most of mine is out of production. I get a lot of traffic from here....thanks for looking! If you want say hi when you buy.
don't know why you are not allowed. there are several who are SHOPS that still sell here! and fabric shops, not just shops like mine was...everything...BUT fabric...
Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM

I've looked at Etsy a few times but have never made a purchase. It is too confusing to find what I want to look at and very often is quite pricey. :thumbdown:

I much prefer Ebay. :thumbup: