Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Age" Related Slump >

"Age" Related Slump

"Age" Related Slump

Old 05-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Hi Marcy,
I too am 72yrs young and I just keep on buying, you need to think all you can get done before the Lord calls you. He will look at you and say you didn't stop, you kept on going. Thank you my child.
Wolflady
Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 PM

I am 80 years old and just now starting my 3rd quilt do crochet have bought a singer feather weight machine to piece on and really like it do not think about age just think i can do it and keeps mind and hands busy some one has said we are only as old as we feel so do not think old think how many years young am I
Old 05-23-2011, 12:31 PM

Isn't it nice to have all the wonderful ageless people with the same interest. It doesn't even matter if we live miles a part, we are as close as the computer.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM

You might be a youngster in many way. We have a 100yr old woman in our town who make fantastic quilt,all sewn on machine & quilted by her hands.She crochets & sells tons of dish cloths & towels for pin money to buy more fabric/ysrn. She's still living alone in her own home.Granted, a Grdau lives near enough to check on her & provide a main meal each day.

None of us knows how long we have left,so do what makes you happy.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:37 PM

i'm going to be 50 this year...

my boss has a file in his desk titled "if dawn gets hit by a bus".. all the crap he would need immediately like payroll passwords etc...

none of us is guarenteed any time certain amount of time...

my dgf always said, "plan like you're going to live forever, live like today is your last day"
Old 05-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Marcy,
I will be 70 in Nov. From time to time I have the very same feelings . However, I decided that all of those
great & great-great grandbabies that are in the future, need a quilt from G.G. Frequently made with scraps from their parents' baby quilts or graduation quilts.
Also, I have 8 more grandkids that will need High School Graduation quilts.
All of the above keep me reminded of "WHY" I continue quilt. And it keep me at the machine.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM

I am 66 and newly retired - and I look at it as I am learning as much as I can because I want to learn and do it, and play, and make things - and if I get caught short on the way - well, I had a ball doing what I did for as long as I did. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 05-23-2011, 02:26 PM

Please keep your hands busy and you won't have time to dread the future. At 21 years of age and recovering from a serious illness my Dr told me "If you take care of yourself you can live to be 80. I thought "doesn't he realize that will be the next century?"
I am well past that and hoping for a few more years and many projects to finish. This time of our life is like the 'frosting on the cake' Enjoy and keep the quilting needles humming
Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM

I was once told by a man who was 84 that he will live as long as he has passion. I was buying a horse from him - he proudly showed me the foals who were the results of his breeding program. He said that waiting to see the results of his various breeding programs each year was keeping him alive. I'm 64 and finally retired so I could pursue some of my passions. Finding something to be passionate about is key to living whatever life we have left.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM

I just celebrated my 87th birthday and I feel that I am still going strong. I make lots of infant receiving blankets and then make baby quilts from the scraps. Some days I sew a lot and some not as much. My sewing keeps me going and I am not about to give it up. Still buy fabric altho not as much as I used to. Just keep doing and doing worry about how old you are. Good luck