Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Age" Related Slump >

"Age" Related Slump

"Age" Related Slump

Old 05-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

I'm sorry to hear this and want to tell a quick story about my dear MIL. She was blessed with 95 years of life, mostly very healthy, She gave up living fully when she retired at 60. For thirtyfive years she did nothing. That's a lifetime for alot of people.It broke my heart but also gave me a gift of apprication for what I have, Life and the abitlity do do stuff. I'm at the begining of my 60th year and an glad for every day I have.I hope you will make a choice to finish one small project at a time. Just keep on doing girfriend! Can you post some of your work for all of us to see?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:59 PM

My Mom is in her 80's and is quilting away. She has 2 cut a wedding ring quilt and another one for 2 of her GD and GS. She had some physical issues so put them on hold and is making my DB a pieced quilt that is her design. It took her some time to get back to working on the quilts after my Dad passed but I am thrilled she has this interest. We talk and share our trials together as I have only been quilting about 6 months.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:27 PM

I'm only a year behind you and my solution that that question is to make use of more of my stash...now that I've built it up.
I have not stopped buying fabric I like, I'm just more selective....otherwise called "picky"!

Considering that I have a wealth of quilt tops stacked up waiting their turn to be finished, I guess I haven't slowed down.

What's age but a number????
There are days when I wake up and think that my mental state (I'd say brain, but I've demonstrated the lack of one all too often) moved into a biological shell (aka bidy) that is more antiquated :P
Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 PM

Marcy J, I am 73 almost 74 and begin quilting only two years ago...have so enjoyed it, my Mom was a quilter and I have several quilts she made and would not take a Million dollars for any one of them...you can find the time if you really want to quilt, I quilt at night and some during the day when I am not spending time with children, grand children and great grand children or trying to keep up with my husband, two homes and a dog that is my Baby...there is always time....please pm if you just want to bounce something off of some other little old lady...that plans to get a lot older....memepeggy
Old 05-23-2011, 04:02 PM

Don't know where you live, but if you are in the upper midwest, this has been an unusually rotten spring. It could be the weather, don't give up and don't be bummed by your age. I'm going to be almost 60 tomorrow and I am just waiting for 65 so I can sew, sew, sew...... Keep going, slumps don't last forever!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:11 PM

I felt like that when I was 40 and my hubs died! Now, my MIL is going thru some mystery illness and has become very depressed and stopped doing everything. Shes in her mid 80s and can sew better in her sleep than I can breathe air. Shes made oodles of quilts, recovered more furniture than a store, made every piece of clothing you can name. (I must say, even as a gifted seamstrest, she is a lousey cook!! lol)
She lives in NY state. Her 2 remaining sons live in VT and are coming to NY soon to move her up there! I speak to her on the phone once a week - I can tell you, shes seriously depressed. Her husband died several yrs ago, shes alone in NY, doesnt drive, and they had a bad winter (outside Buffalo!) this yr.
If you feel there is "no reason" at any 'age" to go on, all I can say is, it aint over til its over!
Get out, go for a walk, talk to clerks in stores, smile smile smiles and then smile some more. You can take drugs and chemicals to make you "happy", but the natural happy you get by living in the moment is better. you have to want to be happy and if you cant get that "feeling" going sometimes if you go thru the motions (smile!) it helps jump it. Eat properly, sometimes being alone people just dont eat right. and, if possible, try to help someone else, a stray, a person you know, a group, help teach a kid to sew - something that is not about you, but about someone else. doing things for others gets you out of your feeling there is nothing in your life. try to learn something new every day. The world is a huge place, when I was 14 I went into a very bad time because I read they had found dinosaur eggs in the Gobi! Serious! My mom thought I was nuts, I cried and said there was nothing left for me to find when I grew up (I wanted to be a palentologist back then). Now, I read all kinds of news and go to sites like National Geographic just to find things I dont know/ never heard of.
every single day you have on earth is a gift, if you live just 1 day or 100 yrs. Look for the present in your day, find the gift the day has hidden there. If you dont feel like quilting try something different, or try quilting some way you never had before, or try an art quilt, or soft sculpting. You can die in your sleep w/ a smile on your face planning the next days quilting project - what happens after you are gone is of no matter, it was how you lived that mattered, not what you didnt do the day you didnt get up sharet (just all my opinions - ;} )
Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 PM

I will be 76 in less than a month. I just lost my husband, my sole mate, my best friend one month ago. I am in the grieving process, but I am very near getting back to my quilts. I think it will be good for me. I have already been going to church on Thursdays, a small group of we ladies sew there we make lots of things for other people and have lunch together. So get back to your quilts, make the best of each day that God gives you. There are many quilts to be made.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:05 PM

Try something new. I am 88 and on Friday went to a workshop on using photos in a Crazy Patch Quilt Workshop that was very freeform. On Saturday I used the strategies I learned to make a 6 inch block for a quilt I am making. Learn something new whether it is from a book or magazine, computer, TV or friend. You won't have time for negative thoughts!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:08 PM

I agreee with all of the above from our quilting friends. Life will pass us all by so we have to enjoy everyday. I thank God every night for my day & blessings I have a lot of living to do, I am 66 and had some serious head surgery and boy am I glad that I am here today, could be gone tomorrow but, by gosh don't waste any time on what could be..... what is is beautiful.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:13 PM

My Mother-in-Law could be your inspiration. She's 83 and usually has 3 quilts in the works. Finishes 4 or 5 a year. She has tons of fabric, but always buys enough for another quilt each time we go to a quilt store.