Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-23-2011, 06:37 PM

Hi BJ,
I'm sorry to read that you have been ill. Oh dear, I'll bet you feel like the FW's are like your children. I bet each one has a story. I live in Eastern Washington, I was thinking that maybe if you lived in Central or Eastern Oregon I might be able to drive down. I drove to Nampa in February for a FW repair and maintenance class that April 1930's taught. They are fantastic instructors. Now I do almost all my own maintenance on my 222K. I am looking for a second 222, also a 'sister' 221 to go with my 1960 222. Sincerely, Libber
Old 05-23-2011, 07:43 PM

Can someone tell me why some FW have 221- under the medallion and some don't?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:49 PM

I now qualify for this club.....my Featherweight arrived this morning from America. I am delighted with it and can't wait to get sewing.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM

Here's a website to keep an eye on:

http://patented-antiques.com/
I purchased a 1936 Singer 221 FW from here and it was immaculate. Very nice lady. They have some really cool vintage sewing items that are fun to look at even if you're not buying.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
Let me ask a question of those of you who have more than 1 FW. I only have 1 FW and can't figure out why I would need a second one?

So I'd like to humbly ask (because I'd like to understand) -- Why do you have more than one? Do you sew on all of them or are some just for decoration? (A woman in my quilt guild has 6 antique machines and they are purely decor.)
Currently, I have only one FW, but I want more. I like the weight and compactness of them for travel, and the fact that they are such workhorses, which would be hard for kids to harm. I load my little trailer with an assortment of donation and thrift store machines of more modern era, and take them on the road for 4-H sewing classes. To that end, I have to carry an assortment of bobbins, and tools. With a collection of FW's they would pack more easily, and I wouldn't need to spend the entire class troubleshooting machine problems. We could spend more time sewing.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 AM

A friend of mine GAVE me a 1951 Centenial recently---Lucille is in the shop getting her bobbin winder replaced and oil and lubed. I bought a new case for her to carry her to classes etc. I'm so excited to have her and can't wait to get her out of the shop.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 AM

I love my Featherweights. I started my search for these little beauties about 6 years ago. I now have 4 of them, one from the 30's, one from the 40's, 3 from the 50's. one is on loan visiting my daughter, it is strong enough to repair jeans for her 3 boys. My favorite is early girl (1930's), she has a delightful hum, and i use her to take to quilting class. I let them each have a go at my sewing projects, so they don't feel left out. My retired DH loves to fiddle with them, oiling and adjusting them. They have become our children. Leona

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you have a Featherweight if so plese post here so you can all chit chat with each other. Have fun!

I am still looking for one! I sure hope I can find one this year.

Craftybear
Old 05-24-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
Let me ask a question of those of you who have more than 1 FW. I only have 1 FW and can't figure out why I would need a second one?

So I'd like to humbly ask (because I'd like to understand) -- Why do you have more than one? Do you sew on all of them or are some just for decoration? (A woman in my quilt guild has 6 antique machines and they are purely decor.)
FeatherWeights just seem to multiply when they enter a homey atmosphere.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 AM

I want to join. I got my Judy a few years ago. She is a 1956 edition and we love to go on sew-ins, retreats and classes. Works great and so easy to take along. The case is a bit rough but at least I don't have the smell. I got a ton of accessories with her including some blackside ones and Greist walking foot for $250. Not sure how they ended up in the case but glad they did.

Now I want one of my birthyear 1961, but it appears they did not allocate any the first few years of that decade looking at the serial number lists.

Cannot belief how fast this thread has grown.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:25 AM

There really is a strong FW following out there! After listening to all the chatter in my sewing groups, I finally succombed and bought a very nice FW221 on Ebay. I can honestly say that I could not have been more pleased with this purchase!! I take my little darling to bees, classes, QOV workdays, and generally where there is piecing or regular sewing required. This little darling is such an awesome workhorse! It is light...MUCH lighter than my embroidery-sewing machines (!!)...and makes me not dread having to pack everything but the kitchen sink to get ready for hauling it to out-of-my-house sewing days. Most of the necessities for my sewing sprees even fit in the little black case that came with it. Ahhhh....I love it!! <swooning> Put me down for "I Love Featherweights" fan club!!