Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I got the Singer 758 to work again. I played around with the bobbin area again. I re-cleaned it and found a bobbin that didn't look warped to use. I'm happy to get it working! Now back to my treadles and next project.
I still haven't got my new Kenmore 158-1040 to sew a zig zag. It now sews a nice straight stitch in the middle position. It also winds a bobbin beautifully since my DH unfroze the clutch, but it will not do any of the decorative stitches that need a zig zag. I am not sure if I am going to try and get it fixed or just give it to Hospice! It would make a great kids machine, so little - but pretty heavy!

Nancy
Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I got the Singer 758 to work again. I played around with the bobbin area again. I re-cleaned it and found a bobbin that didn't look warped to use. I'm happy to get it working! Now back to my treadles and next project.
I still haven't got my new Kenmore 158-1040 to sew a zig zag. It now sews a nice straight stitch in the middle position. It also winds a bobbin beautifully since my DH unfroze the clutch, but it will not do any of the decorative stitches that need a zig zag. I am not sure if I am going to try and get it fixed or just give it to Hospice! It would make a great kids machine, so little - but pretty heavy!

Nancy
my sister says OIL OIL OIL
Old 05-24-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by miriam

Oh, I didn't realize you have the one Monica had such problems with! Well, I hope it works out for you and that machine, but don't expect it to last long. The 500a and the 403 will outlive the 758 I am sure! I bet the attachments are interchangeable if they are all slant shank machines.

Nancy

I agree Nancy - I don't know about the white top hats though - have to try them - the rest is good - save parts
Let us know about the white top hats too! I am curious - I don't think they will work on the Rocketeer, but I would like to know!

Nancy
Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Bronwyn that fateful day that you 'had' to fly must have been terrible. I am always saddened to hear these stories. You two must of been pretty young. I am sorry for what you have gone through, but it sounds like you persevered because look at you now. If you know no one who sews, how did you get started? Is there a quilt store near you? I have made lots of sewing friends by taking classes at our local quilt stores -- tons of fun!

Nancy
It was a terrible day in more ways than one, DH had just turned 44 and I was 42....the saying 'only the good die young' is soooo true!!

When I was a young child, I used to design my own clothes and my DGM used to do the sewing...which often caused a lot of problems because she didn't use a purchased pattern. I had to stand very straight while she held a sheet of newspaper against me while cutting the 'pattern' with the scissors in the other hand, a few times my clothes (and skin) got nicked!! LOL A left hander using right handed scissors is not a good combination!! LOL

From around 6-7 yrs old I used to do hand embroidery even though my parents tried for many, many years to convince me that sewing (of any kind) was a complete waste of time...but I persisted through all those fights and arguments and later took myself to night dressmaking classes for a year before I was married. Then a few years later when DS was a baby, I returned to classes and continued for another 10 yrs through the whole range of dressmaking and home dec classes because it was something I really enjoyed.

Sewing is a huge part of my life as I make all my own clothes, including bras, underwear and swimsuits, home dec items (including quilts) and some clothes for 2 x DGD's along with dolls clothes etc. If something can be made on a sewing machine I'll try it...and before next summer I plan to make a shade-sail to cover the fishpond during the summer months. I made one for my last house and it worked brilliantly.

Unfortunately there are no quilt stores closeby, in fact there's not much in this small town where I moved recently. Sometime I'll check if there are any sewing groups but at the moment there are not enough hours in the day because I've just had a new house built with a large sewing room and still have to do all the landscaping etc so I've got more than enough to keep me busy....then I suddenly get addicted to vintage sewing machines!!! LOL

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
This is nutz, this new addiction.
I fully understand this! It got me too!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shnnn
Originally Posted by PJisChaos
This is nutz, this new addiction.
I fully understand this! It got me too!
And just think I helped you all with it! ;)

Billy
Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by incoming2me
Originally Posted by MarieM
Ok, so here is a photo of my first HC. I know that most of you have a much nicer and stronger maching but a girls got to start some where.
I've never seen one of these up close and personal.
All of the pictures I've seen they are either black or what I thought was a tan color.. yours is pink?
Too cute!!!

After buying DD4 a POS Singer plastic chainstitch machine for her b'day last week, I've decided that it's going back to the store.

Have you sewn on this one? I was thinking about finding one of these for her. (If they are indeed a viable option!)
The other option I was thinking was a handcrank. (...by converting my Great Grandmother's model 15 treadle head)
Actually I did sew a little on it and it really did a fine job. I purchased it at an auction and it was made in the 1950's. Since it had the original box, clamp, needles and instruction book I couldn't resist. I thought it would be really cute to set out on a shelf...now I just have clear a spot off on a shelf. It is actually tan, not pink. Depending on how old your DD is you may want to consider a vintage machine. I don't have children but when people ask me what I recommend for a machine I recommend the vintage ones. Our local consignment shop had a nice 301 in a cabinet and a mom bought it for her daughter to learn to sew. If you learn on a good machine I think you'll love the hobby.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by jtapp9
A piece of advice please?

In the 500A that I just got recently, If it is not threaded it will sit and "sew" like mad. No catching or glitches or anything. As soon as I put thread in it and attempt to sew then I can feel it tightening up, like its catching, and the thread will break after maybe 4 stitches. Lots of birds nest underneath. Sometimes it wont even start to sew on its own and the two handwheels will part and the inner one (larger) will spin but not the outer (smaller) one. As soon as I pull the thread out it will "sew" again.

I have changed the needle. I have taken the tension unit off and loosened it. I have tried several different kinds of thread. I've checked the bobbin area for crud.

Any other things I can try tonight?

I've had to put them away a bit because I kept tinkering with machines and NOT getting any sewing done. I've about come to the conclusion that I should just pay the money for ones that have already been serviced. My patience really does wear thin pretty quickly when it comes to tinkering with minor problems with seemingly no fixes...lol. I had decided to take them to the local SMS for a servicing but seems their number is no longer in service :(....sucks for me.
Go look for another machine, 301, 201, FW, 15s. They work, and easy to repair. I forgot what machines you already have, but don't waste your time on that one.
Yes waste your time on this one!! The 500A is the best Singer made IMO. I would put that rascal next to a $7000 Bernina and send it back to school and it is almost a 50yo machine.

It sounds like the tensioner disc might be dirty or burred. Where in Arkansas are you? PM me and I might can help you out with the servicing.

Billy
I've been thinking about what shipping it would cost me :shock: . I'm in Jacksonville, just east of Little
Rock. I have the 503A that I would eventually like cleaned up good. (503A) It is missing the lid, the bobbin winder (motor doesn't have the extension), but I believe she sews good. I haven't messed with her as much because the 500 is my dream machine (for me, anyway)
Old 05-24-2011, 06:58 AM

I think Gas might be cheaper for me to just deliver them Billy...lol. I probably have at least 4 machines I would love worked on! Cash flow could be an issue though...husband might make me get a second job!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:02 AM

I'm making a trip to Indiana mid June and I guess I will be bringing home another 66 Redeye~this one is in a treadle :). My brother found her at Goodwill yesterday for $50 and insisted that I needed it. The picture shows that she's still got pretty darned good decals on her. There are a couple pieces that he knows are missing (bobbin cover plate) and it 'looks' like the bobbin chamber may be rusty. His pictures were dark so hard to tell. I "think" i'm excited..although I may have to rent space in my office warehouse to keep my HOBBY! LOL