Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why go to a quilt store??? >

Why go to a quilt store???

Why go to a quilt store???

Old 05-24-2011, 09:06 AM

Ditto to Karen R.
Quilt stores in my area are like going to library to look at books. I love the atmosphere and of course the fabrics. classes, notions and the great people who work there.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:14 AM

I am all for supporting my LQS but mine does have extremely high prices. Their fabrics start at $10.00 and go up from there. They are knowledgeable but I most often go there when I can't find what I need for a specific project at Joann's, Hancock's or Hobby Lobby. My LQS is not close by either and they close by 5:30 every day. I do often order fabric online now. A lot more than I used to.

But I decided to make Eleanor Burns Quilt Barns Across America quilt and needed fabric that looked like grass, stone, bricks, wood planks, sky with clouds, and needed cows, chickens, sheep and pigs. I would never find those at my local chain store fabric shops so that's when I mostly use my LQS. They will have unique things you won't find at Joann's, but you're gonna pay for them. I go there 3 to 4 times a year and definitely need my credit card when I go!!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:18 AM

I love going to the LQS. The people are so friendly and the owner of the one I most inhabit, is so nice and helpful. She also calls me by name and greets me every time I come in. I willingly pay a little more for the personal service. I too believe in supporting small local businesses. Everything is too impersonal today, and they are like a breath of fresh air. Sandy (the owner) also does LA so I appreciate her for that as well. Go LQS! We Love you! BTW, I am a new quilter so it isn't like I have been there for years, nor spent the most money, they are just worth going there for and may they last long!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 AM

My question is why can't I go to the quilt store everyday? It is a place of inspiration and comraderie.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:59 AM

Like to support local businesses.
Friendly expert help.
Great variety of quality fabrics.
Have to support 1 in particular because I won their grand opening prize - Babylock Quilter's Choice machine!!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:59 AM

I would go to my LQS more frequently - but it takes an hour to get there and then back andat least 1 hour to browse - so there goes 1/2 day ! I'd go more if they were closer - so I go online when I am looking for somthing specific and Joann's when it is a charity or kids quilt. Even Hancock's is 45 minutes each way !
Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 AM

I like to support my LQS. The store has lots of quilts on display, the staff are friendly, I get a big discount during my birthday week, and it has a frequent buyer's program. Even though its fabrics are more expensive than online, JoAnne's, or Wal-Mart, I love to look at and feel the higher quality of the LQS fabrics and I always feel inspired when I am in the store. It is also a great place to visit when I am upset or stressed. The friendly atmosphere and people are a great calming influence. While I certainly like to save money when I can when buying fabric, I feel that the benefits I get of having a supportive LQS are worth the extra cost of the fabric.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 AM

The only fabric I buy at JoAnn's is muslin. The price of their fabric is almost as much as LQS and not as nice.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:08 AM

Hi I am in the UK so we don't have Walmart etc. I shop online both from the UK and the USA, but we now have a small LQS. Its great to pop in and see she has. also If its something small its quicker than waiting for the post. I love the convenience of the LQS
Old 05-24-2011, 10:18 AM

My LQS is the closest thing I have to a quilting bee - they have the tables, knowledge, quality fabric and great people.