Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why go to a quilt store??? >

Why go to a quilt store???

Why go to a quilt store???

Old 05-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Much better quality in a Quilt store...Walmart's fabric is not the best, but you can get some nice stuff there. JoAnn's quality has gone downhill too, but if you really check out the different rows of material you can find some nice stuff.
Problems is that these stores are all ordering from China, Japan and Korea and its not the best quality. I would rather make something with Moda, Kauffman, etc and pay a little more to have it look nice. After all your time and then the money to have it quilted, you want it to be an heirloom for your family to enjoy after you are gone.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 PM

I go because the owner is so wonderful! I have taken some classes there, and she really wants to help, and loves my enthusiasm as a new quilter. Sometimes I get most of the fabric there, sometimes she just doesn't have the colors I'm looking for.

I don't go because I can get fabric cheaper at Jo-Ann, and Jo-Ann's accepts my ASG discount, as well as all the coupons they send.

I am currently making a pieced lap throw, and I bought the book from her for the whole concept. I am worried if I bring the finished quilt in there (show and tell at BOTM meeting) it might hurt her feelings that I did not buy the fabric there.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:38 PM

I go to Joann's for backing fabric or insides of bags etc. But the LQS has wonderful quality fabric and I have found for the same quality at Joann's it will cost me more than the LQS. I like the personal attention and advise at the LQS. I do buy on line at time also but sometimes when I get it it isn't exactly what I thought it would be. But usually they are a little cheaper. Pro and Cons to all three. But if I had to pick one it would be the LQS.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 PM

I go for some many reasons mainly they are much more friendly and I learn so many tips.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Amen ladies
You truly get what you pay for. I worked in 2 quilt stores and owned one for a few years.
I love a bargain but much prefer quality. All the products we buy, food, gas keep going up and so do the services that are a part of selling good fabrics.
Someone told me fabric is very high priced in Canada, they measure meters instead of yards and that would be approximate 4 inches more than a yard and the there prices are $20.00/yard.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM

I buy fabric online and at fabric/quilt shops. Yes, sometimes fabric might get alittle pricey. But when buying online you cannot see the quality of the fabric until you have it in your hands. Or the true color of fabric. If I am making a very special quilt, I pay quilt shop price! I still feel I need to support our local businesses!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
I have been to several quilt stores and the fabric is usually pricey. So with that in mind, why go to a quilt store when you can go to JoAnns or Walmart??
I guess its really a matter of preference. For me I tend to find more things that I like in a quilt store more so than the big chain stores. I've been going to two quilt stores recently and I really like their staff. They seem genuinely interested in what I'm doing and they're knowledgeable. And they LOVE my boyfriend...they tell me he's a keeper for willingly bringing me to their shop. There are some extra bonues with the shops I go to. In the store near my dentist they have a rewards system...spend so much and get an X-amount of store credit. At the other store they have reuseable bags and every first Thursday of the month any fabrics you put into that reuseable bag you get 20% off the price.

With the chain stores...yeah, they may be cheaper, but there have been times where I ask about something and they give me that deer in the headlights look. Sometimes they'll ask me what I'm doing with the fabric I'm buying, but they don't seem really interested and are just trying to bring up small talk. And I think with the Wal-Mart fabrics they hardly ever change up their line of fabrics.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM

btw, I have no "LQS" I drive 30 miles to the one I like, and drive 10 miles to the nearest city.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:09 PM

At Jo-Ann's they always say my ideas are great! I don't think they even look or think about it.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 PM

not to start a debate but I want to say this...QUALITY QUALITY QUALITY!!!!!...compare 120 count sheets to 400 count sheets...you can feel the difference..and I am not talking about the sizing thats put into them....but thats just my opinion...if you want it to last longer go better...if you really don't care..don't worry about it..I shop at my LQS but when I can't find something I go online...blessings