Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Harbor Freight cutting blade review >

My Harbor Freight cutting blade review

My Harbor Freight cutting blade review

Old 05-24-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Suzy
I put my used blades and used needles in empty pill bottles before disposing of them into the trash. I also have them labeled with tape.

suzy
I put all my needles and pins in a medicine bottle too. Do they make bottles big enough for the blades?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by pjustice63
I have been very happy with the blades I bought at HF. In fact, I think they are sharper.
One problem I have had recently, and it finally dawned on me how old my cutting mat was, that even newer blades were not cutting as they should. I replaced the old cutting mat yesterday and I am amazed how much difference it made. The "old" blade is now cutting like a new one.
I'm in the UK so I haven't got a HF place near, or even close :lol: but I totally agree with you about the cutting mat, I know they are expensive but I replaced my heavy large mat last month, after 6 years of hard work and I could have saved the cost of the new mat many times over in the blades that I replaced thinking they were dull. Now I know they weren't it was the board, an expensive lesson learnt.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:48 PM

Depending on what cutter you are using them in make sure if it has the little black washer that the washer is put on correctly. It has a curve to it on the olfa rotary cutter. I'm going to try to post a picture.

Suzy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-202002.jpe
Views:	157
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	202008  
Old 05-24-2011, 03:52 PM

I just changed my blades that had nicks in them. I use two rotary cutters at the same time and change the blades at the same time. So I decided since I am one of those who is not happy with the blades, I'd give another package a try. These blades cut like butter. So I guess if you have one bad blade in a package, you can have two. So right now, I'm a happy camper.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:03 PM

I have been using the same blade for 5 months and I average 2-3 quilts per month. It is still rolling along perfectly. I couldn't be happier. They have to be made stronger than Olfa if they are to cut rugs. I will admit, I went to a friends to do some cutting for charity quilts and she had a white kind of see thru mat and my cutter was giving me fits. I used hers to do the rest of the cutting. When I got home I pulled it out to finish a piece I needed and it cut perfectly. It had to have been her cutting mat as I am still using that same blade an its working fine. Go figure!
Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 PM

hi all did you know that our cutting mats dry out thats why you should on a regular time wash them with a soft cloth i have been doing that and it makes a big difference andcleaning them with a scrubby cleans them even though they are called self healing mats they need tender care, i do mine every couple weeks as i use three Omnimats , i do both sides always . hope this helps you all hugs ((((()))) weze
Old 05-24-2011, 04:42 PM

I'm glad that I read your message about HF blades. I was going to order some for that price but now I will stick to Fiscars!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:44 PM

I have the blades and just LOVE them. (KNOCK ON WOOD) haven't had any problems with the ones I've used so far
Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 PM

You probably won't even read my reply to you but I want you to know that I highly disagree. I have never had a better blade. It is the sharpest of any brand that I have used. I have the same blade in use for months at a time. I am not at all exaggerating. Too me it was a super bargain. Martie in CA
Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM

I put my old rotary blades in a butter container (plastic tub from blue bonnet or simular) I then save them to cut birthday wrap and Christmas wrap and such. I am assuming in today's world of imports and such, we can get a bad blade anywhere.