Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness >

Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness

Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness

Old 05-23-2011, 05:32 PM

I did have some of my sewing and jewelry on etsy and never got a bite. Don't know why, I guess too much to choose from.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM

I have an Etsy store & enjoy it. Things aren't selling as quickly as I'd like but it's "part-time" for me - after my day job, running after my daughter, etc. I have purchased things there with no problems whatsoever. I think they have wonderfully unique things (plus some wierd stuff if you like that). Fees are much more reasonable than Ebay.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Treasureit
I have been selling on Etsy for several years and I have been happy there. I sell FABRIC and PATTERNS and BUTTONS - they sell OK. I think my prices are fair compared to others I have seen. I would sell my fabric here, but since I have a shop ...not allowed any more. If I buy reasonably - I pass the savings on.
The fabric was originally just a way to "destash" what I don't use, so I list it for a fraction of the selling price. Most of mine is out of production. I get a lot of traffic from here....thanks for looking! If you want say hi when you buy.
don't know why you are not allowed. there are several who are SHOPS that still sell here! and fabric shops, not just shops like mine was...everything...BUT fabric...
Not sure maybe I should ask if they changed the policy again - All I know is that I listed some books and got a notice that the policy changed. I think they didn't want people signing up on the boards just to sell. I can understand that.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 PM

I have bought fabric and jewelry on Etsy. I found better deals on Etsy then on Ebay. The sellers I have dealt with have been just great.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 AM

[quote=wraez]
Recently I've been thinking of selling my fabric postcard creations on Etsy, there are alot there for sale. Which might be the problem. [quote]

Go for it. The cost of posting on Etsy is about 20 cents per item. My DD is selling crochet hats and diapers covers and she priced her items slightly under others listed. She makes item then posts them and sells that item. Her's are fairly quick to make so she can make one to order. I on the other hand made the coloringbook bags 4 of about 10 patterns so I could list quanity as more than 1. Problem with that was I had too much money tied up in project. I would suggest that you make few, list and see how they sell. Sounds like taking custom orders would be too hard. But remenber that paypal also charges a fee.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:45 PM

Just looked at that QuiltDeal.com and I think that will be hard to sell on because of the price...$50 a month is way too much for me. I will check it out when it opens and see if they are bringing a LOT of traffic...then it would be worth it. One thing I have learned in the 11 years I have sold on the internet is that if a site expect you the seller to bring all the traffic to yourself then it is very hard to make enough money.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:20 PM

Good point about monthly fee at quiltdeal.com, I really hadn't gone to look to check it out.

Thanks for pointing it out.

I think as far as fabrics, patterns and anything from my stash, I'll just sell it on the yahoo group sewitsforsale. There are no fees at all to sell sewing / quilting related items but NO crafted or handmade items.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 PM

I quit selling stuff on eBay after they jacked the closing fees to nearly 9% per item. That's way too high for my taste. Plus now they are going to take a percentage of the shipping fees on top of that. (a lot of people were exaggerating the shipping fees on their own to try and make money that Ebay previously wasn't taking a cut of.. I am guessing that's why Ebay is taking a cut now.) I like Etsy myself.. and just like buying fabric on eBay, you have to know the value of what you are buying so you don't over pay.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:45 PM

Even better yet, sell our stash stuff here!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:17 PM
JJC

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
Hi, if you have an Etsy site, or if you have bought supplies or items from Etsy, I would love to hear from you. Do you think it's a good source of supplies (patterns/instructions) for quilters? Have you had a good experience buying from Etsy dealers?
I have bought and sold on Etsy getting started with it last Nov. I like it!